Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to buy GalCiv via the "Download" option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to buy GalCiv via the "Download" option?

Hi,

Since GalCiv isn't anywhere for sale in my area (Europe), I'd like to try to Download it from Stardock's site.

How does this work? Do you get mailed a serial number after payment or something ..? Can you download it only once? What if the download fails somehow?

Any experience with this?
    Greatest moments in cat:

I bought it through download too...

after ordering it, you get an email with a Serial number, a link to download 'Stardock Central' (their download manager / updates / etc program), and a link to directly download the retail install version of the game.

Thereafter, you can download it either through Stardock Central, or through the link - I downloaded the retail install, but have done updates through Stardock Central after that. (The advantage of Stardock Central is that it's supposed to handle resumes, or downloading only parts - i.e. only the core game, without multimedia, for a smaller download to be able to play...)

And either way, you're supposed to be able to download it several times.

Hope that helps!

/unic

Comment

Yes, that helps! Thank you.

How big are the download files?
      Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

The retail install zip file is 465 Megabyte... if you download it through Stardock Central, my understanding is that the core game is around 85 Megabyte, which allows you to play (though missing movies and some stuff like that), and then the rest is multimedia.

/unic

Comment

The online purchase was actually surprisingly painless- fast download time, and the update system through Stardock is quite nice. I'm really impressed with these guys- they need to push out more games and give some of the "big names" a run for their money.

While the game itself lack a little polish in places, the purchase/updating system is tip-top notch.
          Friedrich Psitalon
          Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
          Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

If you live outside America and have a dial up connection, I wouldn't even think about downloading it.

I tried it.
            I registered with the number they sent me.

I could not find anywhere on Stardock to download it.

I used the clickable link on the e-mail they sent me.
            There is no option for downloading just the game.
            You have to go for the whole thing.

After three days I had 138MB then it would not resume any more.
            I tried again from scratch.
            After a day I had 48MB then gave up.

They have run out of CD's.
            " There are no scientific facts, only historical ones and they are all biased."

Comment

There is no option for downloading just the game.
              actually there is
              click on the software button, then on the drengin.net tab

it's an 85mb

i downloaded it on an isdn line in greece in 6 hours or so(in the first days of the release when the lines were full)
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Seems easy enough. I don't have a very fast connection, so it's supposed to take about 11 hours though... I'll download the 85 M only if it somehow fails.
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Biggles, you're wrong, there are 2 SEPARATE, cumulative downloads for "Game only"(85 Mb) and Multimedia (300some Mb)

I had a mixed experience with the d/l : I already had SDC installed and bought on release date, 2 hours after H-Hour . I'm in France but have a hefty 512Kbps ADSL.
                  Everything went technically right, no crash/connection prob/anything, but at the time I dled the Stardock servers where near condensation point , I had a crappy 2-5 KB/sec, D/L of multimedia took 12hrs+ !!

Now the bandwidth is good, D/Ling should be painless, but with 56k modem it'll still take LONG !

Comment

I think Biggles was using the stardock site to download and didn't install stardock central, that would explain why he couldn't find the game to download on stardock.
                    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

I must be really dense.
                      I have Stardock Central installed.Version 0.99e RC6

I have not bought Dregin Net.

I still cannot find Gal Civ to download...only the update.1.02

PDifolco. Please more instructions

Thanks

Comment

Did you register it first in "Tools -> Register products" menu?
                        <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                        Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Lemmy....Yes.

I think that might be the problem.
                          Now the web site thinks I have the game, so only updates show up on the download options.

Comment

Biggles,
                            If you correctly registered for GALCIV alone in the registration tab, you should see GalCiv available.. If SDC "thinks" you already have it installed and you don't, you should clean up your HD of all Galciv stuff that may be there and cleanup the registry also.

Or maybe the 1.02 update you see will indeed install FULL game, did you try ?
                            Maybe you even HAVE the game without knowing it , the installer is not very talkative, it copies files and then say "over' .. But I don't recall seeing anything positive about how to launch the game, not to have a shortcut put on the desktop, so you have to get to C:\Program Files\Drengin.net\GalCiv and doubleclick the exe !

Well else put a post at GalCiv Tech forum or send an email to Brad, they'll fix it in a couple minutes I'm sure !

Comment

Working...
                            X