The Stacked Combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stacked Combat

Does anyone know exactly how the stacked combat system handles which ship in the stack attacks or defends first or last or in what order?

For instance, if I have a fleet of 2 transports, 3 Corvettes and 5 star fighters, will the battle take place with the most powerful ships in the stack (corvettes) attacking or defending and then if they get destroyed move on to the star fighters...and so on?

Or is it more random?
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

ehh..i guess the answer to this question doesn't really matter as long as all combat units are engaged before non combat units.

I guess this is more of a nit-picking question.
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

No, I think it's an important question.

Over at galciv http://www.galciv.com/metaverse/simulator.asp is a great combat calculator. What I wonder is if I attack with some corvettes and star fighters and transports and BattleAxes, whether the defenders will knock off everything but the BattleAxes. I think that happened in a game I played, but I'm not sure. I'd prefer it if my defensive ships could absorb the counter-attack first, even though they are not the first attackers.

Single ship combat is well-defined in the User Manual. But how about for a stack?

Comment

I stacked dissimilar ships last night and it looked to me that my battle hammer engaged before any of my other ships. I was attacking a starbase with a small defense bonus so the other two ships in the stack should have been destroyed if they attacked first. As it was, my battle hammer took some large dammage.

Comment

What were the other ships?

They might attack in order of hit points, attack rating, tech level or just alphabetical order!

I'll have to post this question on the official forum and see if Brad or anyone sees it.
          The foppish elf, fighting ithkul in a top hat and smoking jacket since 1885

Comment

I think the ships with the most chance of winning will fight first.
            So if you're attacking, the ship with the highest offense and most hitpoints will attack first. And on the defending side the ship with the highest defense and hitpoins will defend.

That would be the most logical, the only thing you don't know then is the exact formula to determine what ship is strongest for offense and defense.
            <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
            Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Any one figure this out yet?

I guess I need to experiment this weekend. It is important to know for my Scout Defense gambit (another thread).
              Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
                I think the ships with the most chance of winning will fight first.
                So if you're attacking, the ship with the highest offense and most hitpoints will attack first. And on the defending side the ship with the highest defense and hitpoins will defend.
                That is correct; the game pulls the ship that has the best chance of winning to the forefront of any combat scenario, and it dukes it out with the opposing best ship. Whichever one wins stays, the other is destroyed.

Comment

Working...
                X