Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well i won second game on Gigantic/Masochistic and guess what? It shows me a score 0. First victory score was 28.000 but i wanted something more. So i just colonized every 10+ planet. After that, game started to crash to desctop ... every other turn ... like in the first time. So i just tried to send a score - it was 40.000. Good enouth - others gained 36.000 and 38.000.

Well i waited something like that... After numerous messages about this...

P.S. I deleted all files in GalCiv directory and reinstalled it from archive prior to starting a game, so i'm pretty sure that game files are ok.
    Last edited by Ellestar; May 1, 2003, 18:17.
    Knowledge is Power

Comment

• Originally posted by Ellestar
      Well i won second game on Gigantic/Masochistic and guess what? It shows me a score 0.
      Well i waited something like that...

P.S. I deleted all files in GalCiv directory and reinstalled it from archive prior to starting a game, so i'm pretty sure that game files are ok.
      Did you "register your player"? It's a text link on the metaverse page - make sure the name you enter is the same as the alias you use when uploading to the metaverse.

It took a few games not showing up an frustration, before I even noticed the link. Once I registered my player, all of my previously submitted scores appeared.
      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

• I'm reading forums and know about this problem. So i re-registered my player for metaverse and only then hit 'submit' button.

Game showed - difficulty anomalous, score of 0. Game thinks that i'm cheating. Well, with that number of crushes, it's not surprisingly for me that game corrupts data (in save file or in memory) and thinks that i'm cheated.
        Knowledge is Power

Comment

• So the Metaverse only works if you have no mods? Sounds fair.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• It's supposed to work if you have approved mods. Stardock's QAing some and will post them as Metaverse friendly when they finish.

Comment

• The Metaverse will work if you have mods although I'm not sure where the line between approved and unapproved mods is drawn.

Comment

• Joined up, I'll be submitting a couple of scores soon.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Seldon
                  It's supposed to work if you have approved mods. Stardock's QAing some and will post them as Metaverse friendly when they finish.

I'm curious to see if that shall work for previous games impossible to submit so far because actually using some library mods that may come eventually approved, or are we condemned to start new games after deleting and reinstall.
                  The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

• Apolyton Empire breaks 100K!

The Apolyton Empire just broke 100,000 points in the Metaverse. With the closest competitor under 70k, we're really sweeping the place. Congrats to everyone who's put in games so far!

Comment

• Yeah Imperia lost a bunch of points with the Metaverse score tweaking. Makes it harder for us to keep up when we don't have a large amount of people submitting scores.

Comment

• Sorry guys now win on Gigantic/Masochistic worth only 3734 points.

Edit: Good news! My first game score sent to metaverse. 2754 points.
                        Last edited by Ellestar; May 3, 2003, 07:24.
                        Knowledge is Power

Comment

• My first score sent to metaverse 167

Not so hot, I suppose?

-Jam
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• Has anyone figured the formula for the scores? I played Large map just to see if I'd get more points, but it seems you have to go the "play boring game" way to get points...
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• The Metaverse scoring formula has been tweaked recently, and eventually all the games already in the Metaverse will be re-calculated based on that. The larger sized games will individually always give higher scores when placed against a comparable difficulty level smaller sized game. Since they take more time to play, that pretty much makes sense. The recent changes have made it so that finishing sooner tends to boost your score, though, so it definitely encourages people to play smart and fast, instead of taking forever and milking the score.

Personally, I like playing large maps (although not Gigantic, that's a bit too large) so that doesn't feel tedious to me at all. But you really have to just play the sort of game you enjoy; the Metaverse is just a nice addition to get a feel for how your games stack on up. No scoring system is perfect, though, and if it's not fun for you to play a way that makes higher scores... it's not worth it, imo.

Comment

• I understand the map size part of the formula, and agree that it is sensible. What bothers me is the ai, the difficulty is not much taken into account. That borders silly from my point of view. Look for people who have won on masochistic in the first ten players. There aren't so many. There is even one who didn't get harder than normal.
                                I prefer small maps to big ones, and the metaverse is interesting in part because it allows Brad to look at strategies we use. But winning with a pitiful score will probably not bring his attention to your new strategy, so the ai will not improve. That is my biggest problem. Now, on tiny maps, strategy is very different from what it is on bigger maps (even small). And a small-medium map strategy is different from a huge/gigantic map (because range doesn't matter as much, because you meet aliens faster, because ship catapults aren't needed, etc.). I'd like the score to reflect the strategy used, which means the harder the ai the better the score. Currently, based on my games, I can't really see how much weight difficulty has, but it seems largely irrelevant, particularly on bigger maps where the other factors are most important and cause more variability in the score.
                                Clash of Civilization team member
                                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                                X