Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If my files will transfer correctly from home to work (this has been a problem the last two tries), I'll be submitting a Huge map victory in Crippling. The score was a bit over 5,400.

Conclusion?: Playing on big maps like that was horribly, terribly boring. If scoring continues in this same 'bigger map = bigger challenge = bigger score' I'll have to stop submitting scores.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

• Its a bit backwards at the moment Yin. Noone can win a tiny map against genius AI without a very lucky start. Or can they?

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• Does it really matter in the end if you don't get as high a score on a smaller map? I don't really care what my score is. So long as I had fun playing it.

Comment

• War of Art:

I does seem a bit backward to me. I like the smaller maps for a number of reasons, but one of which is the fact that the AI tends to be strongest in the early game, so you don't have the breathing room that a large map gives you to start outproducing the AI. On small maps, you also have to optimize each early turn, perhaps even to lease some materials, just to secure a decent start. Very fun stuff.

I've beaten Genius AIs on smaller maps with an 'O.K.' start of 4 planets. I have *not* beaten it when I only start with 2 planets, though. I should say, however, that in that particular game it was really fun to see the AI leverage its power against me. In other lesser games, with such a bad start you'd either a) still win or b) have *no* chance of staying competitive no matter what you do.

In that game, I didn't stay competitive, but the AI did respond well to my efforts just to stay alive: I allied with the Yor, who also had a bad start, maxed trade to look like a good guy to keep around, etc. It was very satisfying how I was allowed to live until it was clear that I was just a pest (I went total Evil) to the Good Guys...
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

• bonscott :

Exacly right. It just would be nice if the Metaverse thing were made more encompassing, which I think it is in phases...

Comment

• Yin-

Thing is, if small map scores were made roughly the same as huge map scores, what would be the point of playing larger maps for score? It takes me a LOT longer to play a gigantic map than a small one.... so there should be a larger score involved. You could probably play 6 or 7 small map games in the time it takes me to play 1 gigantic.
              Friedrich Psitalon
              Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
              Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

• Perhaps scores should be listed by map size? But time invested shouldn't be a factor in the score itself, IMO.

Comment

• I think intelligence should play a larger role in scoring. I tentatively agree that a larger map should get a large score because it will encourage people to play but I also feel like a small/crippling game should rate a higher score than a gigantic/normal game.

Comment

• I think Brad and his team have already changed the scoring toward the right direction: the last game I've submitted - a short one on a MEDIUM map ( I was impatient to see if I was still able to submit after my very long game corrupted ), a v 1.03, has a 2k score ( with v1.02 or lower before the changes, that would be no more than 500 ) next to a longer one on a larger map which scored less. So it is possible to score high on smaller maps now.
                    The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

• 5,643 points (Crippling, Huge map) won't register. Ah, well. Let's see if it gets sorted out.

Anyway, it was a massively boring game after I already had it in the bag. The key is to have a high military rating and to setup trade routes (3-4 at least) with the guy most likely to attack you ... this way he won't!

I will say in defence of GC, though, that at least it was boring for a logical reason. That is, the AIs behaved logically for the most part, though for my money, I think the other 4 civs should have ganged up on me the moment I took out 1 AI.

As it stands, it's simply too easy to keep the civs fighting each other...

Comment

• yin26
                        Try to update game to latest path.
                        Knowledge is Power

Comment

• Originally posted by yin26
                          5,643 points (Crippling, Huge map) won't register. Ah, well. Let's see if it gets sorted out.
                          Just curious, do you know WHY it can't be registered ???? ( I have one too, it may be corrupted in some way I don't know why ). I have the latest update.
                          The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

• Lots of folks (even those with latest incremental patch -- the latest standalone isn't up yet at 1.03A) are complaining about this. Nobody has any ideas that I've seen.

Comment

• My latest score didn't register - but it was only 300ish so I'm not complaining too much How do you get 5,000 ?

-Jam
                              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• It's really about map size from what I can see, although I understand that is going to change in the future with previous scores adjusted, etc.

In this particular game, it was Huge Map with Crippling AI. All I did was tech whore (let me know if that is an unclear term), make sure AIs were fighting each other at all points in the game, and establish trade routes with the most power AIs so that they would be less inclined to go after me. It was all very methodic and, quite frankly, dull.

I do understand, though, that 1.03A has closed some of the trade loopholes that made it so easy to make huge sums from tech whoring. How this effects my cheese play I'll have to see when the standalone is ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X