Did GalCiv need Moo3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did GalCiv need Moo3?

I mean, if Moo3 had not been the fiasco it became, would anyone buy GalCiv? And if there was no Moo3 at all, woudl GalCiv even get noticed?
    Proud member of The Human Hive, working for a better future on Chiron, today!

MOO3 crashing right a brick certainly helped, there is no doubt about that. I would say that GalCiv could stand on its own merit though. Probably wouldn't have got as much sales, all depending I guess on how bad/good MOO3 was. Again though, I'd say it could have stood on its own had MOO3 not failed so completely.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
    -V. I. Lenin

Comment

Had there been no MOO3 at all, GalCiv still would have been noticed, since fans of 4x games have been aching for something fresh. And all those people who aren't buying GalCiv now because they just plunked down $50 for the lemon MOO3 and are either wary of being burned again or don't have the $$ to get another game so soon might be buying it, so maybe the sales would be even better.

Of course, the question is, how well is GalCiv selling?
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Well Boris, no sales figures for you, but they *DID* State that the dounload area banged their site up to one of the top 1000 in the world!

That means that they have served up Terrabyte of data to people buying the game online and downloading it.

I have never known a none buisness/Government site make it to the top .5% (or whatever % a top 1000 site is )of all sites
        Last edited by Nirvana_CN; March 29, 2003, 16:32.
        WWW.MrFixitonline.com

Comment

Heck... can't wait to get GameSpot's selling figures
          Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

I had heard of GalCiv but it was not on my "radar" as a game I would want.

That all changed when MOO3 came out and was such a tremendous disappointment.

I bought the game because of MOO3. I am certain that I represent a significant market segment.

The design of GalCiv makes no bones about it's derivative nature. I find it refreshing.

M
            "You are, what you do, when it counts."

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Comment

I had decided to buy them both before either came out. MOO3 being as bad as it was just made me buy GalCiv immediately instead of waiting a month or two.

As for GalCiv needing MOO3, I doubt it. I think GalCiv just would have taken off slower and built a cult following that eventually would have expanded into the mainstream if MOO3 was better.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
                As for GalCiv needing MOO3, I doubt it. I think GalCiv just would have taken off slower and built a cult following that eventually would have expanded into the mainstream if MOO3 was better.
                Join the cult of GalCiv !

I would have bought both - but then again I'm a TBS nut. I've got Space Empires 3 (which GalCiv reminds me a lot of) and Space Empires 4 (inferior to 3 AI-wise IMHO). I even bought CTP2 ($50 I'll never see again).
                - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Think of GalCiv as your reward for suffering through CTP2

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I for one wouldn't have bought or even noticed GalCiv if not for the MoO3 fiasco.

Comment

I think people eventually would have gotten around to GalCiv (it's very different from MOO3, after all!), but by then the game would have fallen far in price and been something of a cult classic.

This way, GalCiv hit mainstream and many, many full-priced copies have been bought. Score a huge one for the little guys who keep their sights on gameplay and value!!!
                      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                        Score a huge one for the little guys who keep their sights on gameplay and value!!!
                        Hear, hear!
                        - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                        - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                        - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                          I for one wouldn't have bought or even noticed GalCiv if not for the MoO3 fiasco.
                          Same with me. Yesterday was my birthday and I resolved myself to buy a game, and it was either going to be MOO3 or GalCiv. From the things I've heard, I decided it would be GalCiv.

So, at least for me, I wouldn't own GalCiv if it weren't for what happened with MOO.

Comment

I found out about GalCiv because of my interest in MoO3, but I had preordered GalCiv before MoO3 turned out to be a dissapointment to many (I like it, but stopped playing it as soon as I got GalCiv, awaiting a patch).

Talk about night and day. I've had the MoO3 AI hit me hard, but I've never felt like I was in a tornado like I did yesterday when I found myself at war for the first time in GalCiv (it's easier to stay out of declared war in GalCiv than in MoO3, but much more likely you'll be attacked if one is declared). I was constantly pulling ships of the line out of contested sectors to return for repair (I had bigger but fewer ships, so I couldn't waste them), replacing destroyed starbases, upgrading starbases for their own defense and to aid the ships that were defending that sector, etc. It was a rush, and this on a skill level where the AI is handicapped!

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                              Score a huge one for the little guys who keep their sights on gameplay and value!!!
                              Amen to that. This is arguably one of the greatest things to happen to gaming, ever. Not GalCiv as a game (although I'm sure it rocks), but the fact that a guy and his small company can create a fantastic, salable game without having to make the various cuts and compromises that so often hamstring games from uber-companies (Civ3 and MOO3, though I love both games). I sincerely hope that Brad & Stardock prosper and continue to produce outstanding and successful products, and I hope that other small companies follow suit.

Comment

Working...
                              X