Crashing to Desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashing to Desktop?

Has anyone had this happen? I'm having a devil of a time with it in my current game. The diplomacy screen appears to be the root of the problem. I'll be checking stats, opening a dialog with another race, etc. and the game just disappears. Everything else is running fine. I thought I had seen something about this on the main site but I can't find it now and was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem or may know a solution.

My specs are:
    450 MHz PIII
    256 MB RAM
    NVIDIA 128MB Video
    Windows 2000
    DirectX 8.1 (shipped with MOO3)
    SB compatible card

Usually with me there was a parse error in one of the files. Check and see if you have a debug file in your /galciv directory and edit it with notepad and look for "parse error in" and edit that file with notepad. Look at the very end for a misprint like END SBMODULESBMOD when it should say END SBMODULE.

That is at least what it has been for me in the past.

they have a new Bug reports list on Galciv Forum as well......

Comment

Hmmm.... I had that happen once, but it was just as one of my cats decided to demand attention by plopping down on the keyboard, so I wrote it off.

That said, I don't know if the release still has this (I think it does), but right up to the gamma release, GalCiv wrote a text-based debug log. you might want to trim that down and send it to StarDock.

Comment

I posted to the bug fix list in the GalCiv forum but haven't heard anything. I was just about to post a new thread over there but thought I'd check here first to see if anyone responded. Glad I did. I'll wait until I get home and find the debug.err file and include it in my post.

It's just odd that it's only happening in this one game. It must be because I was actually doing really well.

Comment

I have had one CtD. I was trying to access my diplomacy screen as well.

Athlon 1.8 meg
          nvidia TNT2 vid card
          gobs of RAM and disk space

M
          "You are, what you do, when it counts."

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Comment

I'm playing through one now and almost completed it. No crashes. I just make sure to save it every time I go into the diplomacy screen and every few turns. I also checked the debug.err file and there's nothing in it that looks like the cause of the problem. I don't think it's even writing anything up.

Comment

I had one CTD after four hours of play--I can't remember if it was trying to access the diplomacy screen or not. I couldn't recreate it, as when I loaded the autosave, the game was all fubarred...the main map display was totally red, the charts on the side were empty, etc.

I'm on a P-4, 1.7 gHz
              512 Mb Ram
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

you can go onto stardock central and in the 'free stuff' section there is a tool called smart exception. If you have the extra memory, it will install itself into memory when you start up. This debugger will tell them to the code line where it is screwing up. Brad talks about it on the 'Bug Reports' list.

Comment

Just had it again...about 3 hours worth of play, then a CTD. Happened when I hit the turn button...
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I just experience my first CTD.
                    It was in the diplomacy screen, my espionage was at the 2nd level where i can see the abilities of the civs.
                    The Drengin empire was selected, and when i selected the next civ (can't remember which, but the icon was the 2nd from above) it crashed.
                    Let's see if i can recreate it.
                    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Ok, i was looking at the "Stats" page, and it seems it only crashes when i try to select the Altarians.

I can work around it by going to another page first and then select the Altarians, after that it doesn't crash anymore.
                      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

New CtD:

IF I try to access the party bonuses in the new game screen, it crashes the game.

Repeated six times. Same crash each time.

M
                        "You are, what you do, when it counts."

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Comment

There's a link over at galciv.com's forum that Brad started. It fixes some crash bugs but I think it's mostly related to the metaverse. I gave up on the game that was crashing on me and have had better luck with new games. I also save before I get into any diplomacy screen. Maybe it only crashes on you when you're beating the crap out of the AI and it knows you haven't saved in a while. Tricky AI...

Comment

I noticed after I installed the patch that many of my movies went more smoothly, most notably the intro with the opening doors.

Comment

I just had the game crash and disappear after accessing the domestic policy button. It happened about 3 times.

I load a game, click the dom policy button, the game vanishes.

This happened 3 times until i decided to not try accessing dom policy anymore.

I only had one planet left to conquer, so i just finished the game and left dom policy alone.
                              While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Working...
                              X