Final release, bonus pack available now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final release, bonus pack available now

I'm surprised that this wasn't mentioned here. Yesterday afternoon both the 1.01 version of GalCiv and the bonus pack became available for registered Drengin.net users and for the beta testers. I purchased a Drengin.net subscription and downloaded it all last night

As a dialup user there is no way in hell I'm going to try to download it, so I'll drop by EB Tomorrow or the day after and pick it up. Meanwhile you can all torture me with tidbits about the game and screenies while I suffer with some more Space Empires 4.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
    -V. I. Lenin

Comment

Just the game was, if I remember correctly, 78MB. The Multimedia (music, cut scenes, etc) made up the huge part of the program, and is downloaded seperately. Quite a few people downloaded the game and the bonus pack, then played the game while waiting for the multimedia pack to download.

It isn't for everyone, any more than any other game. So far, it has less of a feel that the AI is just building stuff and throwing it at me than any other game I've played. I don't quite sense that the AI has the "grand strategy" that good human players will have, but it's at least not build military and chase things. On the downside, it is more simplistic than MoO2 or MoO3, in that planets have few qualities, inhabitability being the main one. You don't have worlds that specialize in mining/industry/agriculture like you do in MoO3. Ships aren't very diverse, either, with no ship design. All your main combat ships are laser/phaser/photon torpedo, there aren't missile ships, carriers, etc.

Don't get me wrong. It is definitely a good game, especially when you're like me and stuck playing SP. It's nice having allies that I earn, but once I've got them, will usually stay my ally unless I get out of line and do something stupid. There really are more options as far as which way to approach victory than MoO2 or 3 had. Every game of MoO I ever played hinged heavily on combat. While you have to have some military in GalCiv (or the AI will see you as prime pickings), you can be quite successful using nothing but culture-pushes to gain ground. Or trading your way into a strong enough financial base to finance some other form of conquest (gone is the AlphaCentar "rich enough to buy everyone off" victory condition).

I like MoO and it's depth, but I really like GalCiv so far. Seems much more likely that you can decide to play a quick game, and finish it up in two hours. Not to mention the fact that you never get caught somewhere wishing for a pause key while your significant other is screaming for you from the kitchen because she urgently needs help.

EDIT: Just realized what I'm trying to say. MoO3 has more detail in those areas that it has, but GalCiv has more areas to play around in.
      Last edited by Eric S; March 25, 2003, 15:39.

Comment

Oh, yeah, if they make a vote about space monsters early on in the game, give them to someone that lives a long way away from you that you don't like. Those space sharks will take out any ship one on one, and early ships will die by the dozens trying to kill one.

Either that or keep a few scouts in the area of the "amusement park/zoo" to try to lead the space sharks off into enemy territory using the scout ships as bait. They'll take out an unupgraded Overlord, even if the Overlord is on the offensive.

Comment

"Space Sharks"-- any relationship to "Loan Sharks"?

Pretty funny stuff to be included the bous pack!

Comment

Yeah...those space sharks can be pretty darn pesky. Even if you have a powerful navy, they're ones to watch out for.

In my current game I'm desperately trying to throw enough military might together to stop a space shark that is heading for a crucial star base (that I have neglected to upgrade with defensive modules).

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I went to galciv and you have to buy drengin.net to get galciv bundled with other games.

galciv alone isn't availble until midnite i think.

Is anyone here anxious enough to wait until midnite tonight and get it right then?

wondering
              While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

I'll have to wait a bit My little corner computer shop is ordering it from the US just for me, so I should hang on and support them.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

You've a strong will, War. I took a two hour lunch break yesterday to hunt it down and had to bribe the guy at EB to give it to me.

Comment

I started off with a preorder through Amazon.Com, then broke down and ordered Drengin.net as soon as it came available Monday. Didn't even wait til I got home, ordered it at work as soon as I cancelled my preorder.

Comment

Originally posted by War of Art
                      I'll have to wait a bit My little corner computer shop is ordering it from the US just for me, so I should hang on and support them.

-Jam
                      Are you really from that tiny Carribean island, or do you just use its flag because it looks cool?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It just looks cool. I live in Germany, but I ain't German. I have no flag to call my own...

-Jam
                        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Bonus Pack

---
                          Last edited by MarkG; March 29, 2003, 12:58.

Comment

Working...
                          X