Playing evil as good??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing evil as good??

I am confused. I read that you can choose to be good or evil in the begining of the game. But does it actually change the attitude of the AI players to me? And if so what holds me from saying I am good and playing in totally evil way?
    Vitaly Belman

I don't think you choose your own alignment at the beginning, but just that of the AI players. Then your actions throughout the game determine your good/evil status, and thus how the other empires act towards you.

(I could be wrong on that, though)
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Even if you are wrong, your alignment ingame would still change depending on your actions. So even if you could start as good, you could still end up as evil.
      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

As I understand it, your alignment is determined strictly by your response to certain semi-random events. You start off as neutral, and then an event will pop up, and you'll be given three choices as to how you want to handle the situation. One resonse is neutral, one is good, one is evil. From what I've seen, there's a penalty involved for making the good choice, and a bonus for choosing evil. More than one event will pop up, so you can range from angelic to demonic, it isn't purely good/neutral/evil.

Comment

I went back and looked at the screens in one of the examples. I don't see anything about selecting our own alignment.

Then your actions throughout the game determine your good/evil status
          I hope you're right! I'd rather see my actions determine what I am instead of simply declaring it at the beginning.

Comment

I hope you're right! I'd rather see my actions determine what I am instead of simply declaring it at the beginning.
            This is from http://www.galciv.com/docs/#_Toc28077917

As leader of the human race, you have control over the way humanity develops. To this end, your civilization has twenty abilities as well as a morality rating that can from change demonic (0) to angelic (100). Humans start out with a morality rating of neutral (50).
            But then, read this:

That said, good and evil is not determined by your in game actions. For instance, do not equate “goodness” with pacifism. History is replete with examples of evil that was not externally aggressive. And all it requires for evil to triumph is for good to be idle. Don’t expect good civilizations to not declare war on other civilizations or demand tribute.

Galactic Civilizations doesn’t get into the business of trying to make political statements such as whether imperialism are good or evil. History is replete with examples of otherwise noble cultures making war or acquiring territory from other cultures that were equally “good”. To that end, we have made sure that the line between good and evil is very obvious – the random events in which players can choose which direction they’re going.
            The following poster has it right:
            As I understand it, your alignment is determined strictly by your response to certain semi-random events. You start off as neutral, and then an event will pop up, and you'll be given three choices as to how you want to handle the situation. One resonse is neutral, one is good, one is evil. From what I've seen, there's a penalty involved for making the good choice, and a bonus for choosing evil. More than one event will pop up, so you can range from angelic to demonic, it isn't purely good/neutral/evil.
            Along with the humor and everthing else I'm reading about, this game could be great!
            Last edited by billybaruch1; March 19, 2003, 04:31.

Comment

So that begs the question, if I choose all the "good" options, but still go out and indiscriminately conquer everyone, good or evil, will I still be seen as "good?"
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I'd guess so, but conquering anything as a 'good' is harder then doing it as 'evil'.
                <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                  So that begs the question, if I choose all the "good" options, but still go out and indiscriminately conquer everyone, good or evil, will I still be seen as "good?"
                  From what I understand, yes. Your alignment is only effected by the random events and how you choose to deal with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                    Repeat after me, "Liberating, not Conquering". Evil Doers conquer, you are helping to free the repressed masses of those other empires.

Comment

Originally posted by PloreOSU

Repeat after me, "Liberating, not Conquering". Evil Doers conquer, you are helping to free the repressed masses of those other empires.
                      Who do you think you are, Paul Wolfowitz?

But if you conquer other good empires, is that really liberating them?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Good empires liberate countries.

Evil empires liberate countries and gas the survivors.
                        A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
                        -V. I. Lenin

Comment

Originally posted by PriestOfDiscord
                          Good empires liberate countries.

Evil empires liberate countries and gas the survivors.

It's more fun to be evil, just in general.
                          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President

It's more fun to be evil, just in general.
                            Strongly disagree.

M
                            "You are, what you do, when it counts."

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Comment

Working...
                            X