• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GalCiv preview at WEWP

Just a heads up to you all. There's a new preview up at

wewp.com - Contact us for any business inquiries

Overall, the previewer is thrilled with the game:

I know I’m coming off a little happy-go-lucky about this game and I hope you don’t necessarily run out and buy it based on only a preview (unless you are a total fan of the genre or of Strategy First games). I’m trying real hard not to over-hype the game, but such is the nature of a “Preview” in most cases.
    But he's got one major complaint:

You’ve got this well designed game with great cut scenes, pretty pictures, thoughtful game mechanics, a pretty decent interface… but it has this really old looking, ‘Shareware’ like feel to it because of the 2 dimensional top down galaxy view (where you’ll spend the majority of your time while playing). GalCiv was designed with playability in mind, not pretty graphics, but I can’t help but sometimes feel like I’m playing a Shareware game due to this perspective.
    Which only goes to show that he's not been following GalCiv hard enough. Brad Wardell has stated time and time again, that 3D was not chosen to be in the game, because it would raise system reqs to where it would hurt sales. That's it.

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Which only goes to show that he's not been following GalCiv hard enough. Brad Wardell has stated time and time again, that 3D was not chosen to be in the game, because it would raise system reqs to where it would hurt sales. That's it.

And 2d view allows for much easier modding by users...just look at SE4, it has the same 2d top-down view, and the number of fanmade shipsets that came out is amazing.
    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

I don't think the fact that you can't spin the galaxy around in 3D is going to cost the game any sales.

Comment

you can't spin the galaxy around in 3D
        what???? you can do it in moo3 you know
        (but i never use it )
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Glad you can't. One time one of my cats jumped on the keyboard, causing the galaxy view to get in an unusable state, and I just could not figure out how to get it back to normal. Wound up saving and reloading, which fortunately put the galactic view back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
            (but i never use it )
            Does anybody use this feature??

Allthough I must say that QS have done a great job of it, making sure that all stars are visible in the Top-Down view, so that you don't have to rotate the galaxy.

Re: "rotate the galaxy" Has anybody ever thought about how totally stupid that really sounds?

Asmodean
            Last edited by Asmodean; March 12, 2003, 17:37.
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              (but i never use it )

Yes but I wouldn't cite Moo3's rotating galaxy map as a favorable implementation.
              - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
              - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
              - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

I would. It's pretty, and it's something to amuse you for a little while before clickin' that turn button.

On topic: I'm a great believer in static 2D graphics. It makes modding so much easier. The stupid Civ3 animated leaderheads ("don't I look like a real ******, huh?") cut down on the number of good player-developed images no end.
                "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by moomin
                  I would. It's pretty, and it's something to amuse you for a little while before clickin' that turn button.

On topic: I'm a great believer in static 2D graphics. It makes modding so much easier. The stupid Civ3 animated leaderheads ("don't I look like a real ******, huh?") cut down on the number of good player-developed images no end.
                  I know what you mean there. I was thinking about replacing the leaderheads with flags or symbols or something (e.g. an american flag with the number/pattern of stars changing through the ages). I never liked the idea of Lincoln the Immortal or Shaka the Undying (and Elizabeth just looks plain undead).

As for clicking the turn button, I usually amused myself with the starship design screen - struggling to get the right name and mission for the model. Now that is fun.
                  - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                  - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                  - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Working...
                  X