Technoweenie question – Macromedia Flash and ActiveX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technoweenie question – Macromedia Flash and ActiveX

The G4 video in the ‘Coronal Tigh says 5/5’ thread causes an error pop up message to appear on my PC: Macromedia Flash Player 6, the script in this movie is causing Macromedia Flash 6 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort this script? Yes/no.

When I press Yes the problem goes away. If I press No then the PC locks and, as warned, is unresponsive. This occurred every time I saw the G4 item in the thread, and also in the home directory at the GalCiv2 web site.

I tried to update Flash at the Adobe web site (now called Adobe Flash 9). This failed for no reason I can determine. Then I uninstalled with a special tool (apparently you can’t uninstall using a standard Windows tool – which I don’t like). Now I no longer get the warning popup, and the G4 image is only an icon.

So, a few questions:

1. Do I need Flash? Have I just lobotomized something useful on my PC?
    2. What about ActiveX. I did note that Flash requires full authorization to ActiveX, and from what little I know this is pretty intrusive and I should only give rights if I am sure it’s a good idea.
    3. Might there be another reason why Flash 9 doesn’t load? Or that my PC is blocking implementation? I run Norton, which does lots of work on the side (and is a resource hog) that I’m not aware of – and, frankly, I generally don’t want to know.

I consider myself a ‘user’ only and have no high level computer knowledge. Any enlightenment would be appreciated!

Hydro

P.S. - in what could be a boon, all the Apolyton banner adds no longer appear!! Now they are only an icon. Apparently they run on Flash, too.

I'm not sure what is causing that error, but it's working fine in Firefox. Even on the G4 website the videos won't play in IE.
    http://www.galciv2.com/

Comment

Working...
    X