Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nifty tool: Debug.err

Debug.err file

I found reference to this file over at the GalCiv 2 web site forums, and it is full of all sorts of useful information. First, it has a breakdown of your computer system, including drivers. I found out, for instance, that my sound drivers were old (~2003) while my video drivers are up to date. This might explain why the sound is skipping – useful information. The file seems to start new with every time you load the game.

This log has a summary of many events in the game, including errors, tech trades, bribes, every ship attack and the results, etc.

This log has a summary of many events in the game, including errors, tech trades, bribes, every ship attack and the results, etc.

A few items stand out when I looked at my last debug.err file:
    Tech trades are noted:
    • Year: 2231. Drengin Empire traded Manufacturing Centers to the Dark Yor in exchange for Barren World Colonization”
    Error messages:
    • Path too long to calculate (36.769554). Aborting” messages.
    • Cannot find texture Gfx\Thumbnails\planets\Planet137.png
    • ASSERT ERROR in file .\Source\Starship.cpp at line 6537.
    • Debug Message: Tried to enter unprintable character: 8
    • Debug Message: Unallocated Mem: 8 bytes of memory from line 1131 of .\Source\editfields.cpp {NOTE – THERE WERE ABOUT 10 PAGES OF THIS MESSAGE)
    Ship attacks
    • Destroying ship Super Dominator Corvette. Orbiting: 0, Destroying ship Altarian Heavy Fighter M4-12 6581. Orbiting: 1, Was Orbiting: Kryseth
    • Attacker Yor Collective has courage bonus 0. Defender Drath Legion has courage bonus 0., Destroying ship Drath BattleShip M4-10 6574. Orbiting: 1, Was Orbiting: Albireo II
    • Attacker Yor Collective has courage bonus 0 ***Defender Drath Legion has courage bonus 0. Debug Message: Destroying ship Mining Starbase 139. Orbiting: 0
    Random events
    • Random Event: Begin Debug Message: Random Event Check: Pirates Debug Message: Random Event: End (NOTE – THERE WERE NO PIRATES)
    Tech acquired during a successful planetary invasion
    • Our agents have just notified us that they have stolen information relating to the technology Master Hull Building from the Drath Legion. The information will be in the hands of our scientists and engineers before the end of the day, so that we may begin to utilize this information immediately.
    • Our agents have just notified us that they have stolen information relating to the technology Space Mining II from the Drath Legion. The information will be in the hands of our scientists and engineers before the end of the day, so that we may begin to utilize this information immediately.
    Politics and elections
    • Drengin Empire senate and their party in control is 0 Debug Message: Federalists running for re-election... Debug Message: Election
    • Debug Message: Drath Legion senate and their party in control is 0 Debug Message: Federalists running for re-election...

A few thoughts come to mind.
    • First, this is a great tool to easily find out what sort of tech trading is going on.
    • Second, there seem to be lots of errors, missing textures, and ‘Assert Errors’ and I wonder if this is affecting performance.
    • It’s a good way to double check your drivers. I’m going to update my sound driver, for instance.

Hmm... might be helpful for the AAR writers out there as well. I'll have to check it out.
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
    X