GalCivII War AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GalCivII War AI

I have seen thread after thread, post after post about how lame the Civ4 AI is at waging warfare. Such as not using good stacks or pursuing objectives. On the other hand, I have seen review after review speak highly of GalCiv II's AI, and I was wondering if that applies to warfare as well.

I am finally (after months of drooling and waiting) getting a new computer that will be able to support games like Civ4 and GalCiv2 and now there is the nagging thought in the back of my head, "Go get GalCiv2..." because I have Civ4 already. I can come out and admit that I am a war junkie when it comes to video games. I like the maneuvering and the strategy. So I was wondering then, does the GalCiv2 AI fair well in warfare (on medium difficulty, nothing too outrageous, just normal) and put up a good defense for survival and a good offensive of destruction?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, I would like to hear whatever you think, and any angle of the wartime AI of GalCiv2 as it will be a major determiner of whether I buy it sooner or later.

Thanks all in advance!
    Siga El Conejo Blanco
    Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
    | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

I would say definitely. The AI in GalCiv2 is excellent and yes it can fight wars. Then again, I think the Civ4 AI is excellent too.
    -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Whilst there is still room for improvement with the GC2 AI, it's better than any other I have seen. I would *definitely* recommend GC2 to anyone who enjoys 4x games.

It's not "Civ4 is space", though, and it does play differently. There' s less feature depth - it relies more on the AI and game concepts, and it plays a lot quicker.

Comment

Another strategy/tactics junky! Yes, the AI is great in GalCiv. It is nowhere near as devious as a human could be, of course, but it is capable of the basics of maneuver warfare and it will use every feature of the game to its advantage.

Of course, the longer you play against it the more you will start to see through its strategies, and the higher you will have to turn the difficulty to still be challenged. The main advantage of the GalCiv 2 AI, in my opinion, is the commitment of Stardock to improving it. While many games are released with a mediocre to poor AI that is never really improved, Brad is constantly tweaking the GalCiv AI to play better and counter the common player strategies. I don't know if I've ever seen a strategy game developer so focussed on Ai improvement, and it really keeps me interested.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the replies guys, I am really looking forward to getting it now, I think I may play Civ4 for a while since I have it and all, but I will definately set my sights on getting GalCiv2 once I find the cash/time. Thanks again, and if anyone wants to start convo or debate on the AI, I would still love to hear more!
          Siga El Conejo Blanco
          Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
          | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

Working...
          X