Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this game Sid Meier's?

I hope this has not yet been asked.

I was wondering - after playing the demo briefly - if GC was created by the creator of Civilization, Sid Meier. If not, it borrows so heavily from Civ one might be incited to cry "plagiarism".

Definately not. And the original Galactic Civilizations on OS/2 predates the MOO series and around the same time as Civ 1. Basically GC's been around nearly 15 years.

Besides, it's totally different and nothing like Civ. It's just a 4x game and they all share a common theme, the 4x's.

Comment

Different? Really? That sounds interesting. I will definitely look into the demo more.

Comment

That's in no way plagiarism. There are many good games built around some of the Civ concepts, and not all of them were created by Sid. Call that inspiration .
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

It's not like game concepts are usually copyrighted or anything.

Besides, Stardock itself happily admits it borrows a lot of elements from other games. They just use whatever they think works best.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I hear people a lot requesting Civ features to be added to Galciv. I think that's unfortunate, because this is NOT a Sid Meier game.
            Fight chicken abortion! Boycott eggs!

Comment

Brad Wardell actually said that the situation between his company (Stardock) and Firaxis is so opened that their teams go play each other's betas and help.
              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Exactly. Which is why the diplomacy screen looks suspiciously familiar...
                Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

They share a lot of concepts. One that stands out for me are the GalCiv equivalents of Wonders and National Wonders - we have both an expensive improvement that can only be built by one civilization that provides ane empire-wide bonus and one that can only be built once per civilization that provides a planet-wide bonus. There's also the Trade Goods, which are like the various wonders in Civ4 that give you a new resource to trade (i.e. Rock and Roll, Broadway, etc.).

I don't begrudge the makers these similarities, as they add a lot to the gameplay. I do think that some of the features were probably directly inspired by Civ games and not just coincedental convergent design. The game also has a lot that Civ4 doesn't, like multiple kinds of production, customized unit design, more detailed trade and diplomacy, etc.

Comment

Sid Meier's next project is Sid Meier's Sid Meier.

Then the next is Sid Meier's Sid Meier's Sid Meier.

Comment

Originally posted by Badtz Maru
                      They share a lot of concepts. One that stands out for me are the GalCiv equivalents of Wonders and National Wonders - we have both an expensive improvement that can only be built by one civilization that provides ane empire-wide bonus and one that can only be built once per civilization that provides a planet-wide bonus. There's also the Trade Goods, which are like the various wonders in Civ4 that give you a new resource to trade (i.e. Rock and Roll, Broadway, etc.).

I don't begrudge the makers these similarities, as they add a lot to the gameplay. I do think that some of the features were probably directly inspired by Civ games and not just coincedental convergent design. The game also has a lot that Civ4 doesn't, like multiple kinds of production, customized unit design, more detailed trade and diplomacy, etc.
                      Hmmm. seems like Sid got a few concsepts from GalCiv, GalCiv1 had tradegoods and national wonders, they were not in Civ2.
                      Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
                      Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

Working...
                      X