No announcement yet.

Are the races really different??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One race might get a +2 class bonus for every planet around a yellow sun but a -3 around a red sun for instance. For another race it could be quite different.
    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

All races have a logistic bonus, because if they didn't they wouldn't be able to have any fleets at all without techs. Don't think of it as bonuses, but starting logistics that varies slightly between the races.

One of the best things about MoO 3 was the great variation in races and that minor civilizations were annexed and contributed with their bonuses on the planets they occupied. The fact that different races liked different types of planets (gas giants, earth like, oceanic, etc) made expansion and diplomacy quite interesting. It's a darn shame they ****ed that game up.

I saw that GalCiv 2 are considering having different tech trees for different races in an expansion, something I've long wanted to see. It would not only be darn fun, but also solve some of the tech trade problems. I hope they do it and do it successfully.

Comment

Humans:

+Strong diplomacy
        -Weak military

Drengin:

+Strong military
        -Weak diplomacy

Why is none of this reflected in the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Strategist83
          Humans:

+Strong diplomacy
          -Weak military

Drengin:

+Strong military
          -Weak diplomacy

Why is none of this reflected in the game?
          I think those are just descriptions of the default abilities for the races...Humans do have a good Diplomacy and Influence bonus, and no military bonuses (there are no negative traits so 'Weak' just means 'No Bonuses'). Likewise, the Drengin get a couple of good military bonuses but no Diplomacy or Influence bonuses. Korx have extra trade routes and economy bonuses.

Comment

Iconions stated they have weak research but they have extra abilities from research, weird.

Comment

I think it's a description of the AI myself. The Drengin AI concentrates on military techs and building ships while the Human AI gets diplomatic techs and tries to stay friendly with most people.

Comment

Originally posted by Gufnork
                To me they don't feel very different, that's one of my biggest beefs with this game. The game plays pretty much the same regardless of race you choose.
                I second that. It is stuff like the generic races that makes Civ 4 lightyears ahead of this game.

Comment

Civ 4 is way too buggy. It might be fixed now but the bugs made me stop playing it.

Comment

I started Civ4 about 3 months after its release, and I'll put it this way: for all the hours I put into Civ4, it never crashed once. Galciv2 crashed twice last night and 3 times the night before.
                    Fight chicken abortion! Boycott eggs!

Comment

Maybe you should wait 3 months with galciv II too

Comment

Naw in 3 months I'll be playing Rise of Legends.
                        Fight chicken abortion! Boycott eggs!

Comment

For those looking for numbers on the starting differences between the races, check out this analysis done by a guy over at Paradox:

I found it very interesting how uneven the starting positions are. He left out the fact that the beginning home systems are different as well, which should have been added to the analysis.

Comment

Working...
                          X