Share Ship designs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share Ship designs?

Does anyone know if (or if so how) you can export and import ship designs out of/into the game?

Holy Sims, Batman, it would rock being able to download others' designs...
    A man's private thought can never be a lie; what he thinks, is to him the truth, always. - Mark Twain, Letter to Louis Pendleton, 8/4/1888

That would be a neat feature, but I don't think it's included in the game. I could be terribly wrong, though.
    I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Looks like you can.... I just found a link to this fan site from a post on CivFanatics - they already have a few ships to download under the GalCiv Mods section.

The directions for the downloads are to unzip and place enclosed files in your \My Documents\My Games\GalCiv2\ships folder - is it that simple? Looks like there are just two core files - *.shipclass and *.shipcfg that make up the ship object...

I'll try it out later tonight and if that is all it takes - maybe there will be enough interest to have a Ship Mod Forum where we can post our designs...

On Edit:

You cannot see the ships unless you are playing the race the ships are meant for, and you have all the pre-requisite techs researched. To get around this to view them in the Shipyard, you can use cheat mode. This is from a post from one of the Stardock staff on the GalCiv forums on how to do this:

You can enable cheats by creating a shortcut to GalCiv2.exe and use that to start the game.

1) Use Windows Explorer to find GalCiv2.exe.
      2) Right click on GalCiv2.exe and choose create shortcut.
      3) Right click on the shortcut and choose properties.
      4) Click in the target field and hit end. Hit Space followed by the word CHEAT. No switches neccesary.
      To see the ships, when in cheat mode press CTRL+SHIFT+R. This is a cheat that will unlock the Tech Tree. You will get a bunch of pop ups, then the entire tree will be researched - and you can see all the ships for that Race in the ship builder.
      Last edited by oldstatesman; March 21, 2006, 17:48.
      A man's private thought can never be a lie; what he thinks, is to him the truth, always. - Mark Twain, Letter to Louis Pendleton, 8/4/1888

Comment

Hmm, if the ships are made by someone playing a custom race, will you be able to see them when you're using a custom race yourself (Since your custom race will invariably be different than theirs)?
        "For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

True.

The ship fdescriptions on that site have the info on the custom race so you can duplicate it if they are not using the default civs.

There is also a utility manager on that site that can return all the civs to the default settings - something I'm not sure you can do now in the game - once you change a civs characteristic's during game setup, it is persistent in all future games. I Write down the original traits before changing - I have not checked out the tool yet, but I hope they give the option to return a civ to it's default settings in future versions. (I'm sure the settings are in an xml or ini file somewhere - I made a backup of the whole game directory so I could restore it to origimal just in case before I started changing things.)

Comment

There's a file in the \My Documents... etc that's called CurrentCustomRaceX.raceconfig (replace X with the races number). Delete that file and the stats will be restored. I have no idea why it does that and why there's no 'reset races' button. Hopefully that's one of the things they add in 1.1.

Comment

Working...
            X