Trading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading

GalCiv II is my first game of this series. I am just playing on slightly-below-middle difficulty level, and have yet to complete a game (I'm too focused on large empires on huge maps, where the game takes ages). In my games so far, some aspects of trading remained mysterious to me. Specifically:[list=1][*]I often have trading penalties because of less developed diplomacy skills. How exactly does this affect the trading process? If I have two techs to offer for one, and the other races will not take the deal because my skills are too low (so that they want a third tech), it seems to be to their disadvantage, not only to my disadvantage.[*]What exactly does trading influence entail?[*]On the middle difficulty level, I often lead in the infrastructure technology, but lack in the weapons and armour department. Unfortunately, other races are extremely reluctant to part with the war technologies. Is it possible to somehow increase the relationship with another species, such that it feels less threatened by me and will give me weapon techs?[/list=1]

1. Very true. While you realize that the AI is suckering you, the AI doesn't realize you're suckering it. So good diplomacy is always an advantage, bad diplomacy isn't always a disadvantage.
    2. It's votes for the next United Planets meeting. You get that many extra votes in it, while the one who traded it to you gets that many less.
    3. When you have traded for a technology, you should know that you can research the techs it's a prerequisite for. So, even if Plasma Weapons IV might be expensive, you don't have the reasearch Laser Weapons or Plasma Weapons I-III at all, making it quite a bargain. I am however not aware of any way to make them more likely to trade military techs, but diplomacy bonuses makes everything cheaper, including military techs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gufnork
      I am however not aware of any way to make them more likely to trade military techs, but diplomacy bonuses makes everything cheaper, including military techs.
      If you're clearly more powerful than they are, they will not trade military techs -- except if you two are allied. Between allies, anything goes, which should make interesting back-stab scenarios available to anyone who wants to play bastard.

Comment

Working...
      X