2300AD Star Name Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2300AD Star Name Mod

As much as I love colonizing "Wardell IV" and "Primus II", I wanted more realistic star names in the game. So I created this simple mod to replace all the star names with the star names from the old 2300AD role playing game, with some updates from the Gliese 3 catalogue of stars. Obviously not to everyones taste, but I thought I'd share.

Star Name Mod

Sample from in-game:
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

New and improved (since I just downloaded Dark Avatar):

Star Name Mod v2

I've randomized the file somewhat since (as far as I know) the game just takes the first x number of names and uses them. So to avoid a bunch of names beginning with "A", I mixed up the file. I also moved most of the "Catalog Number" type names to the bottom, so you'll only see them in really big galaxies.

Comment

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘realistic’. What kind of names does your mod offer? I’m not familiar with 2300AD.

Hydro

Comment

They are actual star names from various near-Earth star catalogs, most of which were originally compiled in the role-playing game 2300AD. This obviously results in a Terra-centric view of the galaxy... but that's what you get living on Earth.

Some example names from my file:

Capella
        82 Eridani
        26 Draconis
        Formalhaut
        Chi 1 Orionis
        Castor
        Beta Virginis
        Alpha Crucis
        Chi Draconis
        Barnard's star
        Delta Eridani
        CE Bootis
        Arcturus
        AD Leonis
        ZZ Piscium
        Sirius
        Edit: Ok - there are a handful of fake names in the file. The "fake" names are ones that were created for 2300AD. Time permitting, I will go through and weed them out so that only star names in actual use are left.
        Last edited by Stuie; February 15, 2007, 09:18.

Comment

Working...
        X