combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combat

What is the combat like? Are there battle animations? or is it static like gal civ1?
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

If the enemy is hopelessly outnumbered (like a noncombat ship versus your spiffy Supernova class dreadnaught with a huge hull and five Nano Rippers and a shield generator and... I digress), you just get a big bang on the strategic map, but if it's actually a fight, you get a window where you can watch your fleet duke it out against the opponent's fleet. You can't control anything but the flow of time, but you can watch as your designs fly around in the void firing at the bad guys, exploding or making things explode.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

thanks
      While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

but is it any fun just watching it? I would want some control of combat.

Is making specialty ships any good then? Is it just the biggest ship with the biggest weapons all you do to win?

Comment

Well, there's the rock, scissor, paper thing going on, other than that it's just biggest weapons win. And no, it's not the least bit fun watching it. Mass Drivers seems to be heat seeking and you can shoot lasers through your own ship to hit the opponent. You can't even decide which ship to fire at first. The only tactical decision is which stack you want to attack and since the AI doesn't use engines you can do that easily.

Comment

I thought I'd be sick of the battle animations by now and would have shut it off but I'm still watching them though at double speed. I think they are still fun and since I don't know what the outcome will be I find myself at the edge if it's a close battle. Really no different then the "battle scene" in Civ 4 between units but just on a grander scale. You can turn both off. If you turn it off then it's basically just like GalCiv 1 in that both stacks fire at each other and one blows up.

Tactical combat? Eh, whatever. I don't have that kind of time. I have so many battles even on a small map. I couldn't imagine it on a large or gigantic map. This isn't a RTS game, it's the standard TBS rock/paper/sissors combat.

Comment

Agree with bonscott on two points - I would have thought I'd be sick of the combat animations by now, and double speed is the way to go. My only wish is that there was slightly more camera control - I want to zoom out further than the game currently allows.

Tactical combat is unneccesary. This is a game of grand strategy.
              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

that mean all combats are simulated?
                Only power is important?
                Taciticskill/strategyskill for combat NOT nesscesary?

Or at least a little bit, to know the enemy's ship configuration to build a usefull against it?

dam, don't say; that in combat ig2 (space and surface battle NOT simulated) and moo2 (surface simulated/space manuell) are older games - but better?

sirleif

Comment

In gc2, both surface and ground combat are simulated. Sorry.
                  We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X