Norwegian preview!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwegian preview!

Gamer.no, one of the biggest Norwegian gaming sites, just posted this preview of Galactic Civilizations 2. It's in Norwegian of course, but I could try to make a translation.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

If you think the thought of ruling solar systems and planets sounds interesting, you should perhaps check out Galactic Civilizations II.

Galactic Civilizations II is a game for those who have dictatorial aspirations. Those who really have dictatorial aspirations. For some of us who walks

around with a ruler in our stomach, games like SimCity, Children of the Nile and Medieval Lords is more than enough. To get the responsibility for a whole

city, whether it's a modern city, an old-Egyptian city among the Nile or a typical European Medieaval city, should for most of us be enough responsibility.

However, some of us has larger aspirations - these powerhungry lunatics wishes to take control of a whole country and lead it to world dominance, and uses

games like Civilizations to satisfy their lusts. But that is nothing compared to the role Galactic Civilizations gives you. Here, it's not enough to rule a

planet or your own little solar system. No, here you must think large.

The King of Cosmos
    Galactic Civilizations 2 is, like it's name suggests, the successor to the successful Galactic Civilizations from 2003, which itself is a remake of an older

game with the same name. The predecessor can very well be described as Civilization in space, and despite this description being a little unfair, as this game

is not a direct clone of Sid Meier's classic, it gives a good impression for people who have not seen the game. The successor builds on this solid fundament,

but at the same time it adds some elements that brings the game more in direct competition with games like Space Empires (which will get a fifth installment

later this year) and Master of Orion 3.

One of the improvements since the original (if we neglect the downloadable expansion Altarian Prohesy) is the campaign modus. This is where the subtitle "The

Dread Lords" comes from. The race behind this scary name lived long before the younger races(like the humans) learned to travel in space. The evil Dread Lords

fought an intence war with the honourable Arnor, who was in the process of winning when they both suddenly disappeared. The disappearance resulted in space for

the other races to develop, and the two ancient races was after a while forgotten by everybody but bearded scientists(and not so bearded female scientists and

robotic scientists).

You probably have already guessed what happens - yeah, the several younger races, right in the middle of colonization of the galaxy and infighting, suddenly

experiences the return of the evil Dread Lords. This is, to put it mildly, no pleasant experience. What happens next is mainly your decision. The main campaign

is non-linear, and even if you fail a mission, you can go on. The game will develop after how you do it, so that the progression of the campaign feels natural

at the same time that you feel you have control. By the way, you are not locked to play humans, all races are available.

Are there any intelligent life out there?
    These races all have their own stenghts - some are good at diplomacy, others to keep their people in check, others are experts in warfare in space. In addition

to the old races from Galactiv Civilizations we get to know several new races, including the thalians, the proud and little nice iconians, who is the race

behind the warrior robots in the Yor collective. If you should happen to not like any of the races, you are free to make your own race from scratch. Here you

can choose their strenghts, how their ships should be and so on.

Of course it's still possible to play freely as in Galactic Civilizatons 1. When you start a new game outside the campaign you'll gett full control of how the

galaxy should be, what races to include, etc. When this is done you are free to conquer the galaxy. The basic gameplay in Galactic Civilizations II is the same

as in the predesessor. You starts with control over a highly developed planet, a small combat ship and a colony ship, and a galaxy full of virgin worlds.

Colony race
    The first you should do is to colonize as many planets as possible before your enemies does it. After a while you'll hopefully become friends with some of the

other races and enemy of other. Here is where the game's strong diplomacy part comes into play, and you'll get plenty of opportunity to try to get the other

races to see it your way. But sooner or later you'll have to use weapons, and then it would pay off to have used some money on research, so that your lasers

hurt your enemies' shields and not the other way around.

Now is the time to take a look on one of the main changes since the predesessor, namely how to make space ships. While you in Galactic Civilizations got a

number of premade ships, you'll have to design your own now. You start with choosing the size of the ship, then different components (as weapons, shields and

such) that each influence the ship's output in some way. Therefore you can design ships that suits your needs, but be aware that the components costs mcuh

money and the better the more costly.

When you're satisfied, you can save your design and use it as much as you want. You can also change it later, if you for instance have researched a new and

better engine that you want to use, or have found out that another weapon is better than another. Contrary to the predesessor, the game now has three distinct

veapon types( beam weapons, mass drivers and missile weapons) and three kinds of defence that each are designed with one of the three weapon types in mind.

That means that if you fight an enemy that has specialized in mass driver weapons, and you have used all your resources to defend against beam weapons, you are

in big trouble.

Stars and planets
    While you only could see the stars in the pre3desessor, you can now also see the planets. That means that two races can both colonize the same solar system if

they find suitable planets. Each planet is unique and have a worth between 0 and 30(where 30 is best) that tells you how much land that is suitable on the

planet. When you build new things, you'll get a simple map over the planet surface where you can place the buildings. Some planets are rich on minerals, other

have lots of ruins your researchers can play with.

Galactic Civilizations II uses 3D graphics, and so far it seems totally OK, even though the developrs have lots of room for improvements before this becomes a

game that can compete with other 3D based space games out there. In our beta version both the ships and the planet surfaces were very simple, and the design of

the ships was not very interesting. Graphics is not particulary important for these kind of games to suck you into them, but with titles like Haegemonia and

Nexus on the market it's easy to become spoiled. A fun detail is that the game can be played in any resolution and if you want 3000x2000 to get full control

there's nothing that can stop you(if your machine can handle it). The graphics are also very easy to scale, so that it actually works better on old computers

than it's 2D graphical predecessor.

The game is still far from finished, something the beta we got shows. In addition to lack several important functions, it also had lots of small bugs (which

probable will be fixed before sale) and it was therefore a little bit difficult to get a proper feel of how the game will be to play. The predecessor was at

least very fun, and the new functions looks like they work good together with the game's solid fundament, so Galactic Civilizations II has the potential to

become a snack for old and new fans of the genre. With improved AI, a non-linear campaign and powerful modding support it also seems like it will last a while.

The gam will be released at the end of the year or early next year.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Thanks for translating, Nikolai!
      -Darkstar
      (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

No problem. It was time consuming, but I had nothing to do while I waited for a friend to come.

Comment

Working...
        X