Weakness: spying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weakness: spying

I know it probably wont be changed now, but who knows when a GalCiv 2 will bring. I think that GalCiv have two sectors that could easily be a bit more detailed and conform to reality: spying and intern politics (governments). Here, I'm bringing spying.

I think that spying is really not working in the same way in reality. You can't just put money and see your spying being better, espescially not forever. Also, destabilization has some problems too. So I believe that a few sliders or options, working differently, could advantagely replace the present system.

PS: I'd be glad to say some more since I have more, but I have these exams and work so I'm blocked.... cya in a few weeks (or almost).
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

That's right, spying is very poor.
    I don't really mind about realism, but am more concerned by the fact that the effects of spying are very hard to notice:
    You get some information, avoid some random events, may get some techs (but this is fairly rare and has only ever been reported against Drengins), and overall don't even know what spying is buying you.
    Destabilisation feedback is also poor. You can use destab and then check with spying if there's an effect on morale, but usually I can't see anything.

So IMO the main problem is the lack of feedback, and the randomness of the effects.
    Just noticing that you avoided a diplomatic mishap when it would have happened for instance, would be nice.

As it is now, spying provides some information, but it's not that useful. Uncovering the map, learning ship position... other actions would help.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I agree LDiCesare. I think it's also about the "thrill" you get to really know what you're doing by the back door, by separating into 3 divisions: just trying to get information, or trying to counter-spy, or trying to get agressive to achieve something. The financing to get in would be a bit heftier, but you'd need to keep some funds if you don't want to see the spying getting less effective or even to lose its core.

Spying could have an effect on diplomacy since it doesn't look good when you're caught... The USA was financing some radio broadcasts from Jamaica to Cuba for example The show was from an anti-castrist group and some of what they said was false like "the communists will take your children at age 5".

It'd be nice to know that you're financing rebel groups also, for example. Or that you're financing "researchers" saying what you want, etc.
      Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Working...
      X