Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active vs. passive potential

Context
    I got a very special game, not as others. The situation, the way the planets were and where the others were made that I was isolated from any real danger. Also, in no time I had taken every single planet I could. So I had 2 choices: attack already friendly Torian and/or Arcean and expose myself to the evil enemy, OR let them fight be the evil guys' neighbors and only develop myself. I decided to develop myself.

Active vs. passive potential
    That's how I really saw that I had 2 choices in each game: long-term "passive potential" delopment (passive until I orient it towards active) or short-term "active potential" development where I'm oriented towards USING the potential I already have (ships, etc.).

Predicting when to act
    Basically, one aspect to look at is in which situation you are, and to try to know when you'll want/need to act so that you'll have an optimal mix of passive and active potential at THAT SPECIFIC MOMENT. This way, you get the biggest punch at the most crucial moment. You can also decide to play it more safe when needed and to be somewhere inbetween (in fact, I'm normally not totally on one side).

This is my reflexion, which is strongly linked to scicence's concepts of potential, energy and force (newtonian physics). The only thing is that it is applied to economy. Any comments? How could we explore more these basic economic concepts?
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

A good post
    “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

I agree that we choose to act either now or later, and plan accordingly.
      Moslty I consider that you can use your money to buy and maintain ships or to buy techs and a good diplomacy. You then decide to switch when it looks promising.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Nice post, Trifna.

I posted thought similar to yours in another thread some time ago, but mine was not quite as eloquent

I usually wait as long as possible to make "the switch". But that's because I'm an empire builder at heart. I have always looked at it this way: I don't particularly care for war or conflict in real life, so I let my strategies reflect that.

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Working...
        X