Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsters, Monsters Everywhere!

Ack! Monster, Monsters Everywhere!

I finally found out the joys of Space Sharks. I chose a LUCK skill, and three of these nasty buggers showed up in the middle of my early fledgling empire. Mighty unlucky I thought, and I swore never to choose LUCK again.

My best ship was a Defender, and the AI wasn’t much better. What was the solution? Why simple – run away. All constructors fled the area along with scouts (to keep an eye on the red beasties). Now, I didn’t flee just anywhere but toward the AI’s territory (I was lucky I wasn’t at war with them or they'd have creamed my constructors instead of the sharks). Sure enough, the sharks left the now target-poor environment by me enticing them with my juicy but just out of range constructors toward the Yor and Altarans.

Over the next 50 turns I led them on a while goose chase, and the Space Sharks were kind enough to obliterate lots of star bases. It was just a coincidence I had a constructor nearby to take advantage of the poor AI’s misfortune. They also decimated the defenses of most of the Yor (sniff….I feel your pain).

In the end I decided it was a Lucky thing after all. The Space Sharks are pretty near invincible at the early level (having the attack/defense/HP of a Ranger), and it is a shame to throw so many expensive ships at it. So, I let the AI do my work for me.

Eventually I got a Lucky Ranger (are they all called that, or was that from my Luck?) and finished off two of the three sharks, who were now significantly damaged. I picked up 3 resources, and the Yor was set back a good way. The only bad result was that the Altarians were so weakened that they surrendered to the Yor.

But, no matter. By that time my Super Culture Starbases were up and running and the core Yor planets were starting to defect.

Now I need more Sharks to deal with the Torians! Or, maybe I’ll just Culture Bomb them, too.

Cool story, I never run into space monsters when I'm lucky.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

are they all called that, or was that from my Luck?
      I've usually seen them listed as Fortune so maybe it's luck. I haven't played at 1.04 yet, though, so I could be wrong.

Comment

Mostly, luck for me has been a great starting location, with lots of class 26 planets ripe for the taking.

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Really? That must be a major AI pick, then, because it always seems to score a few early on. Maybe I'll give it a shot again.

Comment

Working...
          X