GalCiv Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GalCiv Demo

I’ve finally weakened and am downloading the GC demo (over my pokey modem – should take 3 or 4 hours – ack!). Haven’t given up hope on Moo3 yet, though, and am looking for a diversion until the code patch comes out sometime in the next year or so.

One thing I haven’t heard many people make comment on is if GC makes a story that is compelling, and what the game feels like. Is it emotionally and intellectually engaging? I ask since I like games that draw me in both ways. That is why I still play AC, and why Moo3 seems a bit dull. Sure tactics and strategy are nice, but if I don’t care a game becomes shelfware.

Hydro

I think AC and galciv have the same basic depth of backstory.

In AC, you had the basic backdrop of a spaceship carrying people to a star system, then they break off into factions and the game goes from there.

In Galciv, there's the basic backdrop of humans discovering how to make space travel quicker so they start exploring space, and the other races learn the technology and the game goes from there.

Galciv is a bit deeper in the sense that it draws you in a bit more because it has various random events that add to the story of your civilization and your decisions mold the personality of your civilization.

But, AC seems to have a bit more "atmosphere" I think. Although that's probably only because AC takes place on the ground and the terrain just seems more atmospheric.

But, Galciv has good atmosphere too, just a different type...don't know if that makes sense.
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Well, I hit a little snag. After downloading for 5 bloody hours I installed and read the system requirements. Oops. My elderly P3 450 is not well suited for this game.

Moo3 had a lot of backstory too, but that didn’t stop it from being a bit dull. I think, vee, that you nailed it when you said ‘atmosphere’. It remains to be seen if that exists for me in GC since I’ve only explored a little.

More novice comments later.

Comment

Try disabling as many things as possible and playing on a small map. The game should run fine then. (I know, it's pretty dumb advice, but I felt the need to reassure a potential fan.)
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Where can I download the demo?

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
            Where can I download the demo?
            Google lists...

- GameSpot has it here
            - FilePlanet has it here
            - WorthPlaying has it here

Comment

Why does GameSpot insist you fork over your name, address, gender, and birthday in order to download a friggin' game demo? They've got no business asking for that info, unless of course it's being sold to marketers & spammers .

Thankfully WorthPlaying doesn't hassle its users
              "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

I’ve played a few games and many things are intuitive, which is good.

I don’t understand a few key items:
                * How do you get treaties with other empires? Is this tech related?
                * Can you build starbases on planets or only on resources?
                * Do ships and starbases get retrofitted with your best tech, or are they relics after they’re build?
                * I understand it is necessary to build colony ships ASAP. But, how far in debt should I go to grab juicy systems? And should I simply try to grab every 15 world I see?
                * I’ve seen my population growth stagnate, and the only way to goose it is to build planet-enhancing projects. It also seems that reducing taxes helps, too (morale based?). Comments?
                * Morale seems to have no rhyme or reason. Do you get a bump when you build something, or just morale enhancing structures? It doesn’t make much sense to me.
                * How do you influence senate elections? In one game I lost when morale was pretty good. What affects this – taxes? Building military? Social programs? “Yes” too all?

So far the game is interesting and goes fast. I still haven’t been sucked into the story, but it is hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro
                  I’ve played a few games and many things are intuitive, which is good.

I don’t understand a few key items:
                  * How do you get treaties with other empires? Is this tech related?
                  Tech related, but there are veryfew treaties you can get, IIRC only War, Peace and Alliance.

* Can you build starbases on planets or only on resources?

You can build 'm everywhere, except over your star systems.

* Do ships and starbases get retrofitted with your best tech, or are they relics after they’re build?

They get retrofitted.

* I understand it is necessary to build colony ships ASAP. But, how far in debt should I go to grab juicy systems? And should I simply try to grab every 15 world I see?

Depends on your map size, with smaller map size you can get further into debt, because you'll meet aliens soon to whom you can sell your tech.
                  Yes, get every planet over 15. And if you can afford it also planets at 14.

* I’ve seen my population growth stagnate, and the only way to goose it is to build planet-enhancing projects. It also seems that reducing taxes helps, too (morale based?). Comments?

Well, that's it really.

* Morale seems to have no rhyme or reason. Do you get a bump when you build something, or just morale enhancing structures? It doesn’t make much sense to me.

uhm..someone else will have to answer that
                  * How do you influence senate elections? In one game I lost when morale was pretty good. What affects this – taxes? Building military? Social programs? “Yes” too all?

Yes too all, i'm not sure, but i've noticed that if for example you neglect trade, by not using all your trade routes. Then the Mercantilists will get more votes in the next election.
                  So far the game is interesting and goes fast. I still haven’t been sucked into the story, but it is hopeful.
                  <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                  Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro
                    As many as you can get, yes. You don't want to over extend and not be able to defend your empire, of course, but in general you should try to get a sizable chunk of the 15+ planets near you. If you have to make a choice between two planets, always go for the higher planet quality one. Culture matters as well, so if an AI near you picks up a few planets in "your" area, you can probably flip them later in the game if you keep up your influence.

You should always (always!) build the +planet quality improvements, usually early on in the game; they cost nothing to maintain, and will improve your production, taxes gained, etc. Everybody wants to live in nice places! As far as population growth goes, you do want to have moderate tax rates (I usually aim for 49% and even that produces lower growth than you can get at lower levels). Also make sure you're developing the Medical techs that increase your growth overall, and you should be fine. Picking up the Aphrodisiac trade good will give a nice bump in that department, as well.

Building +morale or +planet quality social projects is the fastest way to improve morale on that specific planet. Having relatively low taxes helps raise morale across the entire empire, as well as staying out of debt. The longer you're in debt, the unhappier your people get.

The population seems rather agnostic to how big your military is; like most voters, they care more about how things go at home. If you have morale over 50% you'll usually win elections; if it's over 60%, I think you always do. Keep in mind that it's all a pure democracy when it comes to elections: if you keep the largest 10% (planet quality wise, which generally have the largest populations) of your planets happy, you'll almost always win elections simply because they have so many people.

GalCiv certainly isn't like Alpha Centauri in the story department, with a lush and narrowly defined story. Each game really does feel different based on random events and how each of the other races do. So, imo, it's somewhat less immersive immediately, but more interesting long-term since you don't know how each race will react in every game, like you did in AC.

Hopefully that helps; be sure to check out the Strategy & Tips forum here for more discussion on game tips.

Comment

Working...
                    X