Strategy Guide for Noobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy Guide for Noobs?

Hello, all. After hearing all the buzz (and being sorely disappointed by MOO3), I decided to check out Gal Civ. I picked up a copy of Gal Civ2/Dark Avatar last night. It looks interesting so far, but since I'd never played Gal Civ 1, I feel like I'm at kind of a disadvantage now, and am afraid I might not be grasping all of the concepts. Can anyone point me to a strategy guide (either online or commercial) that could bring me up to speed?

(Dare I hope that Velocyrix has written something?!??)

Thanks in advance.
    "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Best guide ever

You're welcome.

Comment

This looks fantastic. Thank you!
      "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Thank you sincerely!

Comment

That guide gives one BAD piece of advice: don't start the game by sliding your taxes up till approval hits 61%. Approval needs to be at 100% for at least the first 30 turns. You need the double population growth rate. I wonder if the guide writer had any experience with Galciv1.
          Fight chicken abortion! Boycott eggs!

Comment

I completely agree. 100% morale with the 2x pop growth is absolutely huge in the early game. What's more, it doesn't really cost all that much since your economy is small anyway. Who cares if you run an extra 10bc a week deficit? Getting more population is like compound interest - the gift that keeps on giving!

This does mean you need a bankroll to keep the empire afloat. See the thread on economy for some ideas. Also, I generally start inching up taxes so that my planets with 1 to 2.5B still have 100% morale since this gets them excellent growth, and other planets merely have good growth. You get more bang for your buck (or BC, as it were) with a higher tax rate on high pop planets. By the late early game increasing your tax rate does get you serous cash, and by then you may need to fund major building (or prevent yourself from falling dangerously into the red).

Hydro

Comment

Working...
            X