This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Avatar review by Solver

A review of Dark Avatar by yours truly is now <a href="http://galciv2.net/4/254/">available for reading</a>. Any comments are welcome.

Yin, Hydro and others - if you want to write and publish your own review, you can get in touch with me about that .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Here was my take on Solver's review as posted in another thread:
    Solver: WOW! Man, I'm telling you: Please get into gaming as a profession. We need you. That was one of the best reviews I've ever read. The criticisms were sharp but usually came with advice on possible fixes. The praise was direct but not fanboyish. In other words, you came across as highly competent and very fair. That's a super hard combo, my friend. Well done!
    We're quite lucky that Solver stumbled onto to Poly long ago and never found his way back out. As for a review from me, trying to follow your review with my own would be like offering people cheese and crackers after you've just served up steak and beer. No thanks!
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

We're quite lucky that Solver stumbled onto to Poly long ago and never found his way back out.

*grunt* You should think about whether the poor guy is lucky he never found his way out or not .

Comment

It should also be noted here that this thread contains a bunch of interesting discussion on Dark Avatar.

Comment

Great review as ever Solver! Very in depth, reasonbale and good criticism with some very good solutions. I think these could help Brad and the devteam a great deal to make DA even better.

Comment

Indeed, its a great review, Solver. I've not played as much DA as you have, but my experiences thus far have mirrored your observations in terms of the AI.

Comment

Thanks guys .

Comment

There I was hoping you would specifically mention all Super Abilities

The only one I found were these:

Each civilization is really unique at doing something. The super abilities are:

Super Diplomat. Civilization is able to secure much better deals through negotiation that other civilizations.
                Super Dominator. When they go to war, they receive a group of Corvette class ships. The number they receive is based on their military power.
                Super Organizer. When they are attacked, all races of the same ethical alignment will come to their aid.
                Super Warrior. When in battles, they get the first strike ability. That is, their ships attack first and if their opponent survives only then do they return fire.
                Super Breeder. If their approval is 100% their population increases at 4X the normal rate
                Super Isolationist. Can colonize barren worlds and no foreign ship can travel more than 3 spaces per turn in their area of influence.
                Super Trader. Gets all the trade techs at start of game and gets 2X from trade.
                Super Manipulator. Is very good at getting other races to go to war with each other.
                Super Hive. Unlimited range and all factories are built in 1 week.
                Super Adapter. Starts out with aquatic and toxic world technologies.
                Super Annihilator. Can build spore ship which when used on a defenseless colony will eliminate all population and turn it into a toxic world of the same class.
                Super Spy. Gets an agent to start with and worlds are immune from agents.

besides of that Mishap nice Review (as far as i got reading this morning)
                Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Hey, as I've mentioned in the other thread, it was largely to cut down on the review's size. Believe me when I say that my musings on super abilities could be half as long as the whole review turned out to be.

If talking required electricity, I'd have to be hooked up to a nuclear power plant .

Comment

Impressive Solver
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Excellent review, Solver!
                      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Some of those Super Abilities are wrong.

Super Hive gets increased range (not unlimited) and their factories cost 25% of normal cost.

Super Spies start out with counter espionage tech--not immunity to spies altogether. In other words they suck.
                        Fight chicken abortion! Boycott eggs!

Comment

I noticed the Hive didn't automatically build factories in one turn. Rather, I thought they simply got to buy them in one turn at list (instead of the rush) price.

I did notice they don't have unlimited range. This wasn't a huge deal for me, but it could be an issue.

I'll have to pay better attention!

I have to say I was underwhelmed by the Super Spy. So far spies are interesting but not a critical part of the game. The only time they made a difference is when the Spy Event occurred and each of my planets got a spy. What a pain since I had to get rid of ~50 of the bloody things. Of course, it seemed to cripple the AI.

Hydro

Comment

Great review, and very throough!

http://www.galciv2.com/

Comment

Thank you .

Comment

Working...
                              X