MoM, under XP, getting it to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoM, under XP, getting it to work

I've been fiddling with MoM trying to get it to work with tips from another site: http://www.proaxis.com/~jarvinen/magic/magic.shtml

I've gotten past the error of needing 2700k of expanded memory, onto another error from starting with the .pif that says:

FONTS.LBX [entery 0] could not be found.

I have no idea what this means and I'm a novice at fiddling with XP and computers in general. Maybe even less than a novice.

ANY help would be appreciated. Don't suppose there's a place to d/l mom that has it all set up for windows xp?

Thanks.

Has your MOM install been fiddled with so it doesn't look for a CD?

Comment

I just thought of something. Which file are you running, magic.com or magic.exe? Com files execute first under DOS so if you type magic at a dos prompt you'll get this error. Make sure you're running this off of magic.exe and see if that works.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
        Has your MOM install been fiddled with so it doesn't look for a CD?

Well I coped the files from the CD before installing. So it installed from the harddrive, but I don't think it worked, that I had to isntall from the CD. I don't know how to fiddle with it. :/

Any ideas? Thanks for yr help

Comment

I just thought of something. Which file are you running, magic.com or magic.exe? Com files execute first under DOS so if you type magic at a dos prompt you'll get this error. Make sure you're running this off of magic.exe and see if that works.
          Thanks for tyring to help! I'm going nutz trying to play this game again after...10 years? Anyway, no its running off of magic.exe. And I do not do it from a dos prompt, but from a .pif file. If I do it from the dos prompt I still get the error saying I need 2700k of expanded memory.

Comment

Probably won't work as XP does not have true DOS and only emulates it. See here:

Running DOS Game On Windows XP

FireWalkWithMe, I just PM'ed you.
            "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I was probably away or not online. If you want you can IM me at xlepurrx.

Comment

Are you running from the base directory. There should be a GAME folder. Look for the exe in there and try creating the shortcut from that. You may have to install it to get all the files in the directory expanded. That should keep it from looking for the CD and allow you to run it.

Comment

Ok! I've figured it out. All the files I needed were in a different directory. So I put them all from c:\magic\game to c:\magic\mps

I have no idea they weren't there. Maybe it had something to do with copying from the files from the CD to hard drive and then installing. Bugger it all. Still no basic sounds.

Comment

I never could get sound to work on my PC. If you get it working, post it. I miss my rich IBM speaker soundtrack...

Comment

Is MoM still being produced, or would I have to try a used-games store or eBay, or is it "abandonware"? I'd like to get my hands on a copy.
                      April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
                      Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Smurf42
                        Is MoM still being produced, or would I have to try a used-games store or eBay, or is it "abandonware"? I'd like to get my hands on a copy.
                        I doubt a used game store would have it, since it's so old. You might try Ebay for a legal copy. There's usually a copy or two floating around there.

What's "abandonware"?
                        "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Abandonware means no one claims it anymore. This usually happens when a company that develops a game goes out of business and no one cares to buy the title. It's also easier to find copies because you don't have to worry about pesky 'copyright infringement' laws.

Comment

Abandonware means no one claims it anymore. This usually happens when a company that develops a game goes out of business and no one cares to buy the title. It's also easier to find copies because you don't have to worry about pesky 'copyright infringement' laws.
                            Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                            X