No announcement yet.

What's your opinion of Steam right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your opinion of Steam right now?

I have never used Steam.

What would you say to encourage me to use it?

What would you say to discourage me from using it?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

I used to really dislike it because my internet connection sucked. Now that my internet connection is passable I only mildly dislike Steam. If I had a very fast/stable internet connection I'd probably view Steam positively..

Comment

I've always had this impression that you have less control of a copy of a game purchased on steam. How true is that?

Comment

I just lost my internet for a week. Played Steam games..."off-line" with no issues during that week. I love steam, no more boxes to store.
        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I think Steam is doing to the videogame industry what the Film and Music industry need to do in order to survive.
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

That is reassuring. What do you think the chances are of a game becoming unplayable in the future due to changes in or the failure of Steam?

Comment

Less than that of any other current option.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                I've always had this impression that you have less control of a copy of a game purchased on steam. How true is that?
                No.
                It is not true.

The only thing is that Steam games get installed into the Steam dir. You can choose install locations for the Steam Library. But you cannot create a custom install location.

Other than that, there's no noticeable difference.

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                That is reassuring. What do you think the chances are of a game becoming unplayable in the future due to changes in or the failure of Steam?
                Near zero.

The only exceptions would be multiplayer-only games... if nobody plays, nobody plays.

THe world could be annihilated by nuclear war. Just choose "offline mode" when it fails to connect with Steam servers.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Okay, can you purchase games on one computer and then install them on a different computer? I ask because my "financial" computer is a completely different box for security, and I don't like using my credit cards on my gaming computer.

Comment

Sure, you can install Steam with one account on multiple PCs, though it can only be active on one of them at a time. Your purchases carry over.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                      Sure, you can install Steam with one account on multiple PCs, though it can only be active in online mode on one of them at a time. Your purchases carry over.

Slight fix/addition.

You can have offline mode enabled on as many machines as you want... even playing multiplayer LAN games with the same account. IIRC, some games in the 90's would not allow you to connect the same account/CD-key to LAN games.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I would encourage you to use it, I enjoy it
                        Keeps things organised

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                          Slight fix/addition.

You can have offline mode enabled on as many machines as you want... even playing multiplayer LAN games with the same account. IIRC, some games in the 90's would not allow you to connect the same account/CD-key to LAN games.
                          Also you can share games across multiple accounts with family sharing.

All in all I can also recommend Steam (which is surprising, considering my initial reluctance, some years ago, to get me a Steam account)
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                          X