The other post-apocalyptic shooter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other post-apocalyptic shooter...

Metro 2033 is on sale on Steam so I bought it. I haven't gotten far into the game yet but I thought to post about it since it's a game that went under the radar and some people here might definitely be interested in it.

The game itself isn't like Fallout. This is not an open-world game and it's not even an RPG. This is your standard, old-school-style linear shooter. However, it does a better job depicting a post-apocalyptic world and the depressing, survival aspect. Here are some unique things about the game...

Gas mask. When you leave the subway tunnels and go to the surface of Moscow, you need a gas mask. The gas mask is a very prevalent part of the game and you always are on the hunt for fresh filters which you need to change as they expire (which is why you need to check your watch) and condensation builds up on your mask. Your mask can also be damaged and have cracks appear. If a hole forms from combat, you have a few seconds to try to find a replacement mask.

Ammo is money. There are two main types of ammo in the game: dirty and pre-war. Pre-war is more effective in combat but serves as currency so you don't want to use it unless you have to. And you probably will have to.

Post-war weapons. The weapons are similar to Bioshock in that there are only a few but you can buy them modified during the game. They are also very obviously made from salvaged parts and look very cool and unique. There's a submachine gun with its magazine sliding to the right as you shoot it, which allows you to see how many rounds you have at all times. There's a pneumatic sniper rifle which you have to pump up and can overpressurize for a distant shot but it can leak air when you do that which could attract attention. There is a railgun that you need to keep charged with a hand-operated charger.

Overall, the game does a great job of conveying dread. It's tough to be in the ruins of Moscow with a cracked gas mask and a failing filter, hearing your character's labored breath, down to using your money for ammo, frantically charging your flashlight so you can search the dead bodies for a replacement filter and hearing the howls of mutant beasts in the distance.

I know I'm hyping it up but this is definitely a game that you should check out if you can get it cheaply.

Here's some screens. The fact that it's not open-world really allows the game to get a lot more detailed than Fallout.

And here's a video of early gameplay:

Last edited by Al B. Sure!; October 28, 2010, 08:32.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

I finished it. It's very short (I think less than 15 hours) but I definitely recommend it if you can get it cheap. The post-apocalyptic atmosphere is notably better than Fallout 3's and it makes me a bit disappointed that Fallout 3 didn't have as fleshed out of a subway travelling experience as this game does. Also, Fallout never has a nuclear winter thing going on which this game does have.
    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; October 30, 2010, 17:43.
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Thought you were talking about Borderlands. Thats a great title. Havent seen Metro on PS3 so cant say none.
      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

I think it's on PC and XBOX. It's a shame really that no one knows about this game. It's pretty damn good.

Comment

Metro 2033 is on sale on Steam for 10 bucks.

Comment

All of the reviews I've read have said skip it. So I will. Even for $10.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You're an idiot, Asher. The reviews were wrong. If you go deeper, you'll see inconsistencies in reviews:

Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

Notice how many review sites gave it rave reviews. The smaller and non-American sites raved about it. Notice the sites that didn't (IGN, Gamespot, 1Up). I think this is a case of video game payola.

You should know about the controversies in which editors give favorable reviews to games which are advertised on their sites. Metro 2033, being a game by a smaller Ukrainian developer, may have suffered from the fact that they couldn't pay off the reviewers.

Comment

Also, be sure to check out the User Reviews which are overwhelmingly positive. Metro 2033 is without question, a case of "big critics" failing.
                Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

235 positive user reviews, 16 mixed, 32 negative.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  You're an idiot, Asher. The reviews were wrong. If you go deeper, you'll see inconsistencies in reviews:

Notice how many review sites gave it rave reviews. The smaller and non-American sites raved about it. Notice the sites that didn't (IGN, Gamespot, 1Up). I think this is a case of video game payola.

You should know about the controversies in which editors give favorable reviews to games which are advertised on their sites. Metro 2033, being a game by a smaller Ukrainian developer, may have suffered from the fact that they couldn't pay off the reviewers.
                  It's more likely the case that they gave free review copies to those sites I've never heard of before, and got rewarded with high review scores.

I've also talked with a couple friends who've played it who described it as a painfully linear, Euro-cheap version of Half-Life meets Fallout, except with completely braindead enemy AI and a ton of bugs.

The fact that Nvidia paid the company money to optimize their game for Nvidia GPUs at the expense of ATI ones (far moreso than any typical game, and for no reason) does not help their case.

As for the user reviews, they're a joke. It appears the vast majority of them just play it for the graphics. Just like another ****ing terrible game, Crysis. Incidentally, also from a poor Euro country.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

And

"Anthony" gave it a 5/10 and this is exactly what I've heard from my friends who have played also.

I really can't understand all these positive reviews. Yes, Metro 2033 looks beautiful, but go beyond that and you find a decidedly poor first-person shooter. The levels are laughably linear, with almost zero chance for exploration; the enemy AI is utterly braindead; the weapons are rubbish; and all the voices sound the same. On top of that, the level of interactivity is terrible: very few things can be opened or searched, and the majority of people you meet are little more than mannequins, who won't speak or react to you in any way. Probably the worst thing about Metro 2033, though, is that it's not in the slightest bit optimised. Even at lowest settings, on a decent computer, certain parts of the game are jerky to the point of distraction. As for its atmosphere and narrative, the story is boring and the only thing that makes it feel tense is the heavy breathing sound you hear when you put on your gas mask. That's pretty much all you're paying for, then - a sound effect.

Comment

I'm actually starting to suspect the user reviews giving it a good score are simply fake. So many 10/10, while if you look at the negative reviews they ALL state the same things I've heard from people who've played: braindead AI, ridiculously linear, too short, lack of interactivity with the environment, etc.

Many of the positive reviews are laughably over the top also..."the best game I've ever played", "Metro 2033 does everything right", "This game is perfect", etc.

The others don't seem to understand the numeric rating system. "This is not a great game, blahblahblah" then give it 10/10.

Comment

And yet a quick look at the IGN comments section for the review, and you see stuff where people are all WTF? How did it score this low?

The thing is, if you watch the video reviews on IGN and Gamespot, you'd be lost as to why it was knocked down. The video reviews do nothing but praise the game. IGN says the stealth sections are difficult and the game isn't noobie-friendly. The ONLY criticisms offered yet drops it to 6.9. Over difficulty of stealth sections?!

This is the biggest case to me of wonky reviewing. Yeah, you yourself might not like the game because this is a very linear shooter but this game is way better than a 6.9. It's unfathomable to me how that would happen unless there's corruption. Literally, the IGN reviewer who gave it a 6.9 said virtually nothing negative in either the video or text review. Stealth sections are difficult, there's glitches (which I didn't encounter; I saw way more glitches in Mass Effect 2, for example), and it's not noobie-friendly. That's all he says negative.

I have never seen a review knock a game down to 6.9 because the game is 'difficult'. He says stealth sections are hard because if you mess up and alert a guy, everyone around knows where you are and the reviewer treats this as a game-damning bug, saying...

"These stealth sections almost ruined Metro 2033 for me, but luckily there are only a few notable ones that need to be overcome." Yet considering that and it being not noobie-friendly are his only criticisms, it clearly did ruin the game for him. The problem is, the reviewer is talking out his ass. Yeah, if you mess up everyone around is alerted but that's because the guy you alerted shouts out to his companions "We got one over here!" or something to that effect. It makes perfect sense why they're alerted.

This experience really makes me distrust IGN reviews now. This game is 8.5 territory.
                        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; November 30, 2010, 17:07.

Comment

ArmA II and Operation Flashpoint both got 7.8 reviews from IGN. Those are screwed up games, especially ArmA II:

Holy **** how does a game like that get a 7.8 review and Metro 2033 gets a 6.9?! It's not just the audio, since such terrible audio is only indicative of the general quality of the game; any developer that thought it would be alright to have audio like that clearly has produced a shoddy product. Both ArmA and OF are very realistic so there's that appeal but they're badly put together games. Metro 2033 is vastly superior but that IGN reviewer has his head up his ass.

Not saying you will like it if you don't like linear shooters but the game is far better than 6.9
                          Last edited by Al B. Sure!; November 30, 2010, 17:20.

Comment

I was hoping for another Stalker but I think its a different type of game. It looks far too linear from what I've read. If its got so much atmosphere then I want to explore.

Comment

Yeah it is very linear. Metro 2034 is in the works so they may open up the game a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X