Elemental: War of Magic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elemental: War of Magic

Ok, anyone have an opinion on Stardock's new game? yay? nay?

Anyone play? Do I need a letter from The Wizard of Oz and download his software to play it?
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

It's a tricky game to get into, but I've been enjoying it.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I got it. Have had issues playing it on my S10.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Apparently the release is plagued by major, show-stopping bugs. Stardock's CEO lost his cool on their forum and had to apologize for lashing out. I think they've issued a bunch of patches, but it's still a bit of a mess. Still, the concept intrigues me... once it's all fixed, I may check it out.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I suggest waiting for a few months so they finish patching the stability problems, then the ui problems, then the gameplay and ai issues.
          It's a lot of issues, but the game has great potential, it's just in beta state right now. However, Stardock will keep working on it and I expect it to be good and fun early next year.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
            Apparently the release is plagued by major, show-stopping bugs. Stardock's CEO lost his cool on their forum and had to apologize for lashing out. I think they've issued a bunch of patches, but it's still a bit of a mess. Still, the concept intrigues me... once it's all fixed, I may check it out.
            A: It wasn't on their forum, it was on an independant gaming forum (can't remember the name - never go there)
            B: He was getting heat from a personal friend, no less. This personal friend publicly denounced Elemental as having a beta feel, and not being ready
            3: Then he lost it

The game is getting there by the way. Still a lot of quirks to sort out, but it is definately not a beta game anymore. Quite impressive actually, considering the state the game was released in.

I recommend it.

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
              Wardell has always been a massive douche. I don't understand the reverence many people here have for him. He's a slimey used car salesman selling shoddy products and hideous Windows hackery things.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher speaks wisdom.
                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Thought this thread was about Elemental: War of Magic. At least I don't see Bradley Wardell anywhere in the thread title.

As for the game: The state in which it was released was hideous. Much of that was due to the game engine, which was developed in-house by Stardock themselves, and not licensed. Stardock, being a small game company did not have adequate testing methods in place to detect and fix the numerous problems that were to come with releasing the game (engine) since ppl's machines are all vastly different.

The engine seems to function a lot better now across various configurations, and thus that part of buggyness should be eliminated.

However the game also suffered from many other problems, even for those ppl on whose machines the engine worked flawlessly.

Most notably, many of the combat mechanins were not working, or working badly. AI was almost non-existant. Or when it worked, it was too easy for players to come up with strategies that the AI couldn't anticipate. Many features were un-documented. The in-game help system was uncomplete. I could go on for hours, it seems.

What hass happened though, is that Stardock have listened to consumer feedback, and gradually fixed bugs, balanced combat, balanced city-building and many other things.

There are many things still to come, but I remain confident that, given the level of support the game has received so far, it will continue to evolve and eventually become great.

Asmodean
                  Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Wardell is an integral part of the development and release of this game, so he's fair game.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Kael is being brought in to clean up the mess. Very positive development in my opinion:

"Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I heard his FfH Game fell through on rps. Not too suprising.

Still i think i will give it 2 more patches until i give it another go.
                        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Sounds like excellent news.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                          X