Dawn of Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawn of Discovery

I just thought I'd ask if anyone has played it, because I'd like to give it a go, been a while since I played any RTS at all, but this one looks great.

The attention to detail is impressive, (as always with these developers). I'm looking forward to trying the Middle Eastern players.

Like in Civ, I loved the start of the game, where everything is untouched and simple.
    be free

It got good reviews (84 at meta). It seems towards the more complex city builder end of the RTS genre.

Comment

I may get it over this weekend, as the reviews for East India Company have (thus far) been rather lukewarm. I'll let ya know.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Been playing it non-stop for the last couple of days, it's very good indeed! :b
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Goin through the campaign now, I quite like it. I'm not sure it's worth $40-50, I might wait for a price drop, but it is beautiful and fun.

Caveats: I have had some instability of my rather-new computer (only 10 months old), and the combat is about as deep as a kiddie pool (though that's hardly the point of the game).

Comment

Don't alt-tab or use winamp/media-player. Seems to be the case for many crashes and corrupt saves. So I haven't had one though.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

A couple other points:

It's not a particularly deep city builder. The housing and jobs are completely unconnected. You could have an island with only houses and no resource production at all, and another with the complete opposite. As a city builder, it is rather shallow. It is resource production/management/trade where this game excels.

There is a noted lack of tutorial help in several significant game functions, especially diplomacy and certain "bonuses" that you can earn.

All that said, it is addictive as hell and quite fun.

Comment

Looks Nice
                Coffee Recipes

Comment

It is addictive as hell and quite fun.

Echo that x10. I'm a huge MMO player and it takes quite a bit to pull me away from the online pvp-type stuff. Oh, I've got Cod4 and BF2142 to take out pent up aggression, but I lost faith in 4x strategy with Civ4 and the lack of a spiritual, if not outright, successor to Alpha Centauri...(best...game...ever).

This game has a LOT to offer. I'm still learning the ropes after a couple weeks. It seems like there's always another layer to scratch open and figure out.

That being said, there are a couple of downsides, if you choose to see them as such:

You cannot pause the game to issue orders. In other words, while your off working on Colony B, you cannot see what's going on in Colony A and must rely on audible alerts.

It is true that housing/population have nothing to do with production. While the realist in me wants to know how you can have an island of mines and no population to support them, the gamer in me likes the streamlined approach where the emphasis isn't on making people happy just to keep them around and not rioting.

Comment

Working...
                  X