How do HOI multiplayer games work???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do HOI multiplayer games work???

I am a big fan of the series, but unfortunetly by the time I picked up HOI2 the enthusiasm here had died and I never have found a multiplayer game.

So, now that I am around for the release of HOI3 and I assume some of you will be up for said multiplayer game, how did you guys manage them with HOI2? There is a whole lot of micromanaging in the older version, this one promises to have much more. Do you just play it at a ridiculously slow speed or do you incorporate predetermed pauses at intervals?
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

I once played a HoI 1 MP game as Japan with a friend as Germany. We paused for a while at the start, to set up everything, and then played on regular or fast, except for some certain moments (Barbarossa, DoW on USA) where we paused / slowed down

Granted HoI 1 has much much less micro than 2. Never tried MP in 2.

I guess that, with the new AI helpers in 3, the non control-freaks will be able to manage MP with much less pauses / higher speed than 2, but I don't really have something to compare it with.

I can envision requests for pauses every now and then for redesigning units, unless you can somehow pre-design them / save your designs from other games.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Thats what I was thinking, like say a five minute pause at the end of each month. HOI2 was pretty micro managy as it was (a good thing), but it never really required things like designing units as you said, and those types of things take time.

Also, the new headquarters assignment all the way to theatre level means a lot of time managing leaders, whole offensives could go by why you try and move single leader between theatres!
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

OTOH, you can set AI automation of the army to any level you want, which especially helps with no longer having to micromanage air assets.

Comment

That is certainly helpful, but I still think you have to manually assign the leader within the chain of command befoer that automated chain of command takes over. With someone like German that could be hell! Better than nothing I guess.

I don't want to be too negative, but I have serious doubts about the competancy of such AI managed fronts, especially if it might be another human player its dealing with. Agains other AI I guess its a draw competancy wise.

Comment

Oh, that's for sure.

You can also have the AI auto-assign leaders for you if you want to...
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I don't want to be too negative, but I have serious doubts about the competancy of such AI managed fronts,
              Keep the speed normal when you're fighting wars, don't allow pausing. When everyone has the same rules, it's fair.

Comment

Working...
              X