No announcement yet.

What should DrSpike do about his Xbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should DrSpike do about his Xbox?

The 360 is known for being a somewhat unreliable piece of hardware. I've managed to avoid the dreaded red ring of death but I've started to have an issue where some games (and only some games) freeze.

It's possible that it's a dvd drive related issue (as arcade games never ever crash, and it doesn't seem overheated or suffer from any known overheating errors), but it's odd that 2 games I have problems with (Grid and Street Fighter 4) are brand new disks in good shape, and some games that work fine (GH3 say) are older with more scratches. Furthermore, SF4 doesn't crash if the hard drive isn't plugged in so I'm unwilling to diagnose a DVD drive problem in that case. And copying games to the hard drive doesn't help at all in any of the cases.

So the problem is hard to diagnose accurately. My 360 is definitely out of warranty though, except for RROD, which I don't have. So I'm not sure what to do. The options are:

1) Buy a new arcade Xbox for about £100 and use my old 20GB drive. This works well but costs me £ with an outside chance that the 20GB drive I'd use has a fault contributing to the errors I'm seeing.

2) Buy a whole new Xbox (60GB) for around £150. More £ but safer.

3) Send it back to MS and pay them to fix it. I think it's a fixed price of around £60. I'd be a bit suspicious they'd reliably pick up all the issues as it seems a complex case and I don't really want to faff about.

4) Send it back to MS and claim intermittent RROD and hope they fix the problem for free.

I'm kinda leaning towards 4) with 2) as a backup if it backfires. What do people think?

I've had the same problem with games freezing even though the disks are in great condition. The only way I was able to remedy the situation was to install the games to the hard drive.

I don't know if MS will fix it, here is what they say on their wonderful tech support site (edit; this is only one of their possible solutions)

Determine whether installing the game to the Xbox 360 Hard Drive resolves the problem
    If the problem occurs when you play one or more game discs, and if the Xbox 360 console has an Xbox 360 Hard Drive attached, try installing the game on the hard disk drive.

For more information about how to install an Xbox 360 game on an Xbox 360 Hard Drive, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    960173 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960173/ ) Playing an Xbox 360 game from your Xbox 360 Hard Drive
    Note It may take 10 to 12 minutes to install a game to the Xbox 360 Hard Drive. If you have insufficient space on the hard disk drive to install the game, you can skip this step. However, this step helps troubleshoot the issue.

Comment

I'ver tried and it doesn't help.

Comment

If you bought an arcade, tried it out to see if it works w/your hd, could you return it if it didn't?

Do you have a 20gb hd now? This sounds like the perfect rationalization to buy a new model with bigger hd and new guts...That's what I would do, my 20 can only handle one installed game at a time, but no way in hell I'd buy a new hd at their rip off prices.

Comment

Yeah I think if I buy a new one it'll be the 60GB one. But I'm still thinking it's worth trying to get MS to fix the old one for free. They get so many RRODs that I doubt they really check, especially if it's flagged as intermittent RROD.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. They'll probably take your word for it. And, if you're like me, you've seen the rrod, it just wasn't permanent. I saw mine during a power surge-caused a near heart attack.

play dumb on the phone, send it in, see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike View Post

So the problem is hard to diagnose accurately. My 360 is definitely out of warranty though, except for RROD, which I don't have. So I'm not sure what to do. The options are:

other options not listed:
              5) Go back to the PC - atleast you can easily fix it yourself if you need to

6) get a more reliable game console?
              either 5 or 6 would be in my scopes

Comment

5) is very limiting as I want to play the best that consoles and the PC have to offer.

6) is possible but the PS3 isn't good value for me, and doesn't add much in terms of exclusives. The Wii isn't for me I think. Older consoles like the PS2 are just played by strange people trying to convince themselves it's somehow better than the current generation.

Comment

Sell your current 360 on craig's list or some other swappery.

Buy a new one.

If you desire, accept a lessor price for the old one by disclosing issues with it.
                  We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Sell it

The PC is way better for games anyway
                    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Yeah, I can watch TV whilst playing Eve.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
                        Yeah, I can watch TV whilst playing Eve.
                        Only n00bs do that so I guess it would be fitting
                        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

To solve your problem, you need to donate it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25 View Post
                            Only n00bs do that so I guess it would be fitting
                            It's been about 20 years, but I think the appropriate response is "yeah, I learned it from you"

Comment

DP
                              Last edited by DrSpike; July 4, 2009, 06:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X