Drakensang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drakensang

Drakensang is a German RPG based on a PnP system that's been around a while. Its also the same setting for a couple of my favourite RPG's - the Realms of Arkania series. The official website can be found at http://www.drakensang.com/

I've been playing it a lot in my spare time which must be a good sign but equally the more I play the more it feels like there's something missing. There's an interesting review at http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/s...hedarkeye1.php

It reads like he doesn't like it but then gives it a reasonable score.

Being based on an established PnP systems means the underlying game mechanisms are probably its strongest point. It's been simplified even compared to Realms of Arkania but while I miss a few things its probably a reasonable decision for PC game.

The graphics are fine for an RPG. Camera can be a bit frustrating and the draw distance is poor but the atmosphere is good. It feels about half way between the Witcher and Gothic 2.

It's a traditional RPG so very few of the good/bad decisions in games like the Witcher or even Baldur's Gate 2. You are one of the good guys. This means the RPG element is in crafting your character. Lots of stats, loads of skills. One downside is that the game is relatively easy so your character can generally pick up most skills he/she needs. The game also helpfully provides an NPC of each type should you need them on your travels. Providing these NPCs takes away the impact of character development. Didn't put points in seduce or haggle? Never mind here's an NPC that has these skills.

Its around about this point that I start to feel the game is missing something. You can collect plants, animal parts, minerals etc and use various bowyer,alchemist skills to make things but there's a relatively small range of recipies and I didn't bother with most of them. Money is tight at the start but after a while there;s not even the incentive to collect plants to make antidotes to make money. Many spells duplicate the effects - heal, antidote etc so after a while no need for bandages and so on especially as they're common loot.

The game is also very linear and once you leave an area you can't go back. The main quest is startingly unoriginal - you are the choosen one so go seek your destiny. There are very few side quests. The longest one has you investigating the death of a friend and is actually more interesting that the main one. At least you feel involved. I think the lack of side quests is probably a feature of the budget constraints. This together with the no going back means you rattle through the game quite quickly. The main city initially looks very impressive but it quickly becomes apparent that you can only enter a very few buildings or talk to a couple of NPCs.

So despite all this I'm really enjoying it. There's very little magic, no uber items and for the first half of the game money is short. Despite what I said above about the main quest it is a very slow game. You can take you time to pick flowers and harvest plants. Solid underlying combat and skills system.

It's not for those who want constant action and to firing fireballs at high level monsters (well not for quite some time). Combat is essentially turn based and there are loads of dice rolls!

Old school I think is the phrase
    Last edited by Standup; May 3, 2009, 06:47. Reason: typo

Nice summery Standup - cheers

I am a big fan of Realms of Arkania - they did a very good and comprehensive job of porting the pnp system to a computer game. That is why i have been holding back of this title, it just felt it has suffered from a common 'modern' phenomenon - probably too easy, and a little 'lite'(Dumb).

I haven't played it but some reviews led me to think this may be the case, and from what you say it appears this may be the case, which is a shame. Why buy an 'inferior' game when the rich history of PC games is full of great meaty rpg games?

Still i suspect it might be one of those games that gets better as patches and fan mods come along, so i've stuck it on my list of 'possible buys'. I'm so hard to please sometimes

Currently i'm on an rpg break - but i have ongoing games of RoA 1+2, BG1+2, Daggerfall and Super Moded Morrowind. Out of that list i find it hard to find a place for Drakensang sadly, but will keep an eye on it for mods etc.

Comment

The mods so far are pretty limited. Doesn't like its going to as easy as Morrowind or Fallout to create them. Ignoring the ones that create Sword of Smiting +5 there are a couple which look at play balance and make it harder. Apart from the challenge if you have less experience points and less loot it does make the non combat skills more relevant - suddenly that treat wounds and your last bandage are all you have.

Are you using DOS box for the ROA? Still got the original CDs but never managed to make them work. Another feature the new game lacks is random encounters. They do happen but there's only 3 types that I've found. No wandering in the wilderness and stumbling across a dungeon or tower. Again the simplified rule set means skills like 'survival' are of limited use.

At least though there is no disease - that use to really bug me in RoA 2.
      Last edited by Standup; May 3, 2009, 06:54. Reason: still can't type

Comment

Originally posted by Standup View Post

Are you using DOS box for the ROA? Still got the original CDs but never managed to make them work. Another feature the new game lacks is random encounters. They do happen but there's only 3 types that I've found. No wandering in the wilderness and stumbling across a dungeon or tower. Again the simplified rule set means skills like 'survival' are of limited use.

At least though there is no disease - that use to really bug me in RoA 2.
        I use a W98se P166 to run them(RoA1+2)....but currently that is mostly being used for Xcom. I liked the disease thing....atleast you could get healed so it was possible in game to overcome it. Still they were quite hardcore german rpg systems.....which i quite like, the new game sounds a little simple for me, but i'll probably pick it up later on some time just for the history value, to see how this game system has developed.

Comment

Working...
        X