Quake Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Live

This seems pretty cool. Playing in the browser is much better than I expected.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Aye, I am getting concerned that the player base isn't going to be that big however. Skill matching seems horrible. There are too many crazy old Q3 players who have a massive amount of experience and can dominate easily. February 24 2009 is when the beta went public. Looking at my own achievements for instance gives you some stats to go by:

418574 players (100% of total) have accounts
    222783 players (53% of total) have completed one match
    27657 players (7% of total) have played 10 hours
    8024 players (2% of total) have played 24 hours

That is in a bit over a month, so I figure it only has 20k max? world wide who play it on a regular basis, then a large group who plays just a little. I wonder if id can support QLIVE on such numbers. I personally can't wait until clans start doing outside competitions and private servers are more numerous. I love the game but I'm not sure if it'll be around for a long time yet.
    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

I see what you mean. Interesting stats. On the other hand, I don't recall id doing any promotion of Quake Live. Sort of seems like they started it just as an experiment to start to understand the parameters of an MMO game.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

its an mmo?

games that take a long time to learn isn't favorable to casual players... especially if there is a gap between those who know and those who dont already.... they dont even get that grace period of new game w/ no one knowing anything... Unfortunately most people cant enjoy a game if they are losing all the time.
        :-p

Comment

Yeah that is a big problem in QLIVE since is it 95% Q3 which is about 10 years old now. Some people have played non-stop since then. I haven't but I did play other FPS so I'm doing quite well. My QLIVE nick is Fastidious.
          Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Working...
          X