Icewind Dale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icewind Dale

The wait for Dragon Age has gotten me to a game I skipped a while back: Icewind Dale. I'm quickly getting addicted.

Anyone else tried it?

Right now I'm trying to get through it with a two character party: a fighter/mage/thief and a ranger/cleric (powergaming 4TW).
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

if you liked baldur's gate it's a must. Very linear but I loved it, especially the atmosphere and the surroundings.

Also try the expansion and there's a mini add-on, I think trials of the luremaster. The visuals in the ice cave in the expansion are quite simply stunning.

I'll also have to try ID2 someday.

Comment

It was fun at the time, don't think I could play it nowadays but it definitely had some appeal.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It's a good series - it doesn't have the strong storyline of the BG games, but the tactical party building is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Juggler View Post
          if you liked baldur's gate it's a must. Very linear but I loved it, especially the atmosphere and the surroundings.

Also try the expansion and there's a mini add-on, I think trials of the luremaster. The visuals in the ice cave in the expansion are quite simply stunning.

I'll also have to try ID2 someday.
          Yeah.

Except I'm playing on a Mac and the expansion was never released for it.

It really is a pain in the ass to micro-manage an inventory without bags of holding/scroll cases/potion belts, especially with two characters. I often have to leave loot behind.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Also you might want to try out the widescreen mod. I tried it on BG2 but it's a bit buggy. Don't know if it works on MAC though.

Comment

IWD2 is really good ; almost on par with BG1.
              I enjoy creating a story around my carefully crafted characters!

I can't say if IWD1 is any good, but after you're finished with it, if you enjoyed it- IWD2 will certainly be better (it received better reviews, I believe.)
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

IWD2 is decent. They tried to incorporate 3rd edition into the infinity engine. It's not perfect, but acceptable. the visuals are nice, and it's a pretty smooth game. Worth playing through once (not much replayability though)

Comment

Well, to vouch for the game's replayability-- I've played through it twice and I've only played Baldur's Gate I and II all the way through once (and technically I didn't 'really' finish BG1-I made it through about 70%; bought the expansion and then finished the game with the expansion party)- the different character interaction choices and party combinations in IWD2 make it a great deal of fun challenging yourself to create different tales and ways to solve situations. Also, IWD has a nice learning curve.
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Icewind Dale's good if you like BG, but it tends to get a bit repetitive after a while. A good story would've solved that issue, alas in ID it's your run of the mill scenario.

Contrary to BG that you can build the entire party yourself is very handy if you want to try out new strats or roleplaying styles.
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                    X