No announcement yet.

Another dumb question from an oldtimer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another dumb question from an oldtimer.

Let me preface this by stating the following:

The last flight sim of ANY kind I really played was Top Gun on the NES. (unless you want to count the massive numbers of quarters put into a star wars machine in the arcades)

Oh, sure, I tinkered with some Xwing on my in-laws computer, but never put in any serious time.

I downloaded the HAWX demo this last weekend. And, was more or less confounded by it. The "assistance off" camera is truly bizarre to attempt to fly by. It just floats out there with no fixed position, giving some nice visuals, but really NO help with trying to target anything. And the fact the entire tutorial forces you to use it makes me think it's meant to be played mostly in this mode.

Meanwhile, the cockpit view seemed to make maneuvering a lesson in frustration as nothing was as responsive as I expected (or as responsive as it seemed in the other view).

Any decent games out there that might be more suited my rusty skills?
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe is an old WWII flight sim that was really fun. The hard part is finding it and getting it to work on post Windows 3.1 machines.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Good game mind you

I was into flight sims and i guess my interest in the genre peaked with microproses "F-19 StealthFighter"(planes) and "Gunship 2000"(helicopters). Alas you will need an old PC to play those these days, and you may not like how dated they look, but they are good flight sims, not too tricky but pretty realistic and had good campaigns to follow and promotions etc. yeah, good games

Comment

I started with Battle of Britain, then went on to Aces of the Pacific, both also old games. Unfortunately I haven't really kept up with them since then. I'd expect the current kings are the versions of IL2 Sturmovik and Falcon 4.0, both heavily modified.
        Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

I loved Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator WW II Europe Series..loved to do the raids by the Luftwaffe on the B-17's
          Attached Files
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, or X-Wing Alliance for some fantastic multiplayer.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
            X