No announcement yet.

Console Wars VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol are we going to debate the meaning of contender now? It was amongst a mere 5 nominees at both IGN and GS for 360 GOTY. As such it is a contender, by being in contention. If you go wider MW2 may have even picked up the awards. Note that ODST was very much not in contention, and that was where we started. I note you haven't quoted any of those posts.

Also, looking at the other games, and the other awards (like shooter of the year going to MW2 at IGN) it's pretty clear MW2 wasn't far behind (again, losing to a game that wasn't released when the bulk of the quoted posts above were made).

I really don't know why you are fighting this. Just take your lumps, and we'll move on.
    Last edited by DrSpike; December 29, 2009, 20:20.

Comment

• Semantics. Silly lovers' fight. Again.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• I really shouldn't need to explain the difference. In sports, a team that squeaks into the playoffs has the potential to win the championship, but to call them a 'strong contender' is obviously not correct. You also went as far as to call it the "probable GOTY" and repeatedly labeled it a "strong contender" (not just "contender"), so to pretend like all you said is it'd be a nominee is disingenuous as usual.

DrSpike, get over it.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
          Semantics. Silly lovers' fight. Again.
          It's because semantics is the only way Asher can stay in the fight.

Comment

• This is so sad, DrSpike.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• I know, but don't worry you'll do better next time.

Comment

• You're the one that's British.

Comment

• Wii did well in the last month of 2009, 3 million compared to 2.15 million in 2008:

Nintendo: Wii December Sales Rise Year-On-Year To 3 Million In U.S.

January 5, 2010

The Wii had a "healthy" holiday in the U.S., Nintendo said Tuesday, as estimated sales of the motion-controlled console exceeded 3 million units in the U.S. during December.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata recently made the sales announcement in Japan. The estimates put December 2009 Wii sales above those of December 2008, which saw U.S. sales of 2.15 million units.

The sales boost come after a price cut in fall 2009 that brought the Wii to $199, down from $249, a price that the console clung to since its late 2006 launch. Wii supply was also stronger compared to the 2008 holiday season.

Consumers were also picking up copies of the side-scrolling throwback New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Nintendo estimated that U.S. life-to-date sales of the game, launched November 15, are closing in on 4 million units.

Nintendo added that its handheld DS console line, including the DS Lite and DSi, "set a new all-time calendar-year U.S. sales record for any console or hand-held system" in 2009. While Nintendo did not offer specific figures, U.S. sales of the DS were around 9.9 million units in 2008.

Tracking firm NPD Group is expected to release the full roster of U.S. video game sales figures on January 14.

Get the latest news on video game development. Read breaking stories, updates, and industry highlights published daily.

And Europe joins the US, 20 million sold in december, also notice the sales numbers for NSMBW:

Wii Hits 20 Million, DS 40 Million In Europe

January 5, 2010

Nintendo recently expressed concern about lagging sales of the Wii console, but holiday results have the company publicly breaking out the sales stats once again.

Nintendo Europe on Tuesday said the Wii has sold a total of 20 million units through December 2009 in Europe. The company said the hardware, launched in December 2006, is the "fastest selling home console in Europe," having reached the milestone in about three years.

The company also said that the handheld DS line, including the DS Lite and DSi, has sold over 40 million units in Europe. Nintendo said in a statement that the portable has sold "more than any other" game console in Europe, and is the fastest-growing console of all time in the region. The DS launched in Europe less than five years ago.

Nintendo added that Wii Fit and the newer Wii Fit Plus exercise games have amassed total sales of 9.6 million units in Europe.

European sales of Wii Fit with the Balance Board peripheral stand at 8 million; Wii Fit Plus with the Balance Board is at 1.6 million. Wii Fit Plus standalone software has sold 1.4 million units, Nintendo said.

Nintendo Europe also said July's Wii Sports Resort has sold around 5 million units through December in the region, and November's New Super Mario Bros. Wii has sold 2.5 million units.

Nintendo of America also released fresh sales figures on Tuesday, stating that the Wii sold 3 million units in the U.S. during December 2009, as sales of New Super Mario Bros. Wii approached 4 million.

Get the latest news on video game development. Read breaking stories, updates, and industry highlights published daily.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• And I was (I thought) reliably informed that the Wii was dying.

Comment

• People never cease to amaze me with their stupidity. Especially Americans and Europeans.

Comment

• Wii fail!

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Xbox 360 is most-used game console, Nielsen says

As the game console wars rage on, new findings from Nielsen may give Xbox 360 fans a little more fodder for their bragging rights.
                        According to the market researcher, Microsoft's Xbox 360 is the most-used console when measured by its share of total usage minutes, capturing 23.1 percent of gaming time. It is followed by the PlayStation 2 with 20.4 percent of usage time and the Nintendo Wii with 19 percent. Surprisingly, the PlayStation 3 didn't make the list top-three list.
                        But Nielsen didn't stop there. The company said that 54 percent of American homes own a game console or handheld system. And so far, 41 percent of homes have at least one current-gen console.
                        Perhaps one of Nielsen's most important findings relates to gamers themselves. The research firm found that active female gamers (those who play at least one hour per week) represent 45 percent of the entire gamer market.
                        The rise in the number of female gamers was buoyed by both the Nintendo Wii and Sony's PlayStation Portable, which have high female-gamer populations. According to Nielsen, 49 percent of Wii players and 52 percent of Sony PSP gamers are female.
                        Nielsen's study offers a lot of food for thought. Let's hear what you think about the Xbox 360 as the most-played game console, the ubiquity of gaming in the home, and the growth in female gamers.

Comment

• Man those Canadians sure are dense.

Comment

• MS just confirmed at CES that Natal is coming holiday this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              MS just confirmed at CES that Natal is coming holiday this year.
                              Will be very interesting indeed

By the way, i figured this was the right place to ask, considering Asher's extensive knowledge of everything related to the 360. I finally got myself around to connect to xboxlive, and i think i want to download a few games. However, right now, i am using my sisters 360, so the question arises, will i be able to download the games for free again on my own 360 when i get that one back? Or do I have to pay for the games one more time?

Comment

• Asher doesn't know much about the 360. After all, he once erroneously predicted that the PS3 would not have a hard drive. He also stole an Internet forum election from me Iran-style. In conclusion it's hard to believe anything he says. I suggest you buy a used PS2 and game on that instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X