No announcement yet.

Console Wars VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS has announced price cuts in Norway to counter PS3 Slim and the in practice almost unexisting price cut I mentioned the other day. The price for Elite is cut with ~80 USD to ~380 USD. The price for PS3 is ~490 USD btw, got the numbers mixed up last time.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• One listing for a 250GB Xbox 360 could be an accident. A typo. But two in two days, on opposite ends of the planet, well, that's something else.

This is an ad from South African retailer BT Games, showing a "Super Elite" Xbox 360 that packs a 250GB HDD. Interesting. Certainly makes the German version seem a lot less like an error and a lot more like a genuine product.

Perhaps even more telling than the South African listing, however, is Microsoft's response to yesterday's Amazon Germany reveal. Asked for comment on the supposed leak, Microsoft did not respond with their customary "We don't comment on rumours and speculation", instead telling Kotaku "We've made no such announcement".

No, you haven't. A couple of retailers have made it for you!
      One listing for a 250GB Xbox 360 could be an accident. A typo. But two in two days, on opposite ends of the planet, well, that's something else.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Personally I think 120GB is quite sufficient, as games only take up ~5GB. But I suppose if you don't have a PC connected with your media downloads then you might want 250GB.

I'd rather see cheaper 60GB and 120GB for when my refurb inevitably breaks.

Comment

• man, ps3 downloads take forever for me, then the install time. using wired connection (same cable as the 360, just swapping them out). sheesh.

Comment

• Yeah, it's ridiculous. I've complained about that before but everyone tells me I'm crazy. The PSN is significantly slower than Xbox Live for downloads, and then they require occasionally crazy-long "install" times after the fact.

PS3 system updates are the worst. The Xbox 360 downloads a delta patch, so it's a few megs at most and installs within 5 seconds on average. The PS3 download is a couple hundred megs (they download the entire ROM image each time) and the install takes 4 or 5 minutes. It used to also reset all of your bluetooth controller pairings, so if you used any controller or headset you needed to re-pair them after each update. And of course, back then they used to release a new version every few months then a week after each version release a hotfix (also hundreds of megs) to fix a bug they didn't catch.

It was far worse than it is now but it's still in gong-show territory.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• well, the new firmware is apparently due out sept 1, so thats something i will not be looking forward to.

it literally takes me an hour and a half to download a gig demo, then 10 minutes to install. bs.

i need an mp game to see how well that runs.

Comment

• The games are wildly variable. None of them are PSN hosted themselves, the developers arrange their own hosting.

Comment

• With the release of the slim PS3 I looked through the games today to see if there's anything I'd want that I can't get on 360/PC, and there's only Killzone 2, with GT5 on the horizon. Slim pickings it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
                    With the release of the slim PS3 I looked through the games today to see if there's anything I'd want that I can't get on 360/PC, and there's only Killzone 2, with GT5 on the horizon. Slim pickings it seems.
                    pretty much. mainly a psn/blu-ray machine for me. I only have uncharted, and god knows when/what will be game #2.

Comment

• Xbox 360 sales up 43% in the UK due to the Elite "price cut":

Sales of the Xbox 360 Elite jumped 43 per cent during the bank holiday weekend in the UK, GamesIndustry.biz can reveal.…

Comment

• More interestingly, £159 for the Arcade unit is daylight robbery in comparison.

Comment

• NPD August 2009

PS3 almost catches up to the Xbox 360 with its price cut. But still didn't. Wii continues to be on its way down to selling on parity. Next month's will have the 360's Elite get a price cut, and the PS3 Slim will be available.

PlayStation 2 105.9K
                          PlayStation 3 210.0K
                          Xbox 360 215.4K
                          Wii 277.4K

MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 928,000
                          WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 754,000
                          MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 665,000
                          BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (360; Aug-09) 303,000
                          BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3; Aug-09) 290,000
                          MADDEN NFL 10 (PS2; Aug-09) 160,000
                          DISSIDIA: FINAL FANTASY (PSP; Aug-09) 130,000
                          WII FIT* (WII; May-08) 128,000
                          MARIO KART W/WHEEL (WII; Apr-08) 120,000
                          FOSSIL FIGHTERS (NDS; Aug-09) 92,000

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
                          Code:
                          Jan~Aug NPD Year to Date
                          ----   2008   2009   diff
                          360   1741k  2039k   +17%
                          PS3   2019k  1452k   -28%
                          Wii   4491k  3554k   -21%
                          Monthly sales year over year:
                          Code:
                                  Aug08   Aug09   Change
                          Wii     453.0   277.4   -48.8%
                          PS3     185.4   210.0   +13.2%
                          X360    195.2   215.4   +10.3%
                          PS2     144.1   105.9   -26.5%
                          Last edited by Asher; September 11, 2009, 01:09.

Comment

• Looks like the Wii gets some form of a price cut in October:

Wii Price Drop Looks To Hit First Week Of October

Advance retail listings forwarded to Kotaku indicate that Nintendo is planning to issue its first price drop on the Wii, with a less expensive version of the console—currently priced at $249—coming the first week of October.

That listing comes from an early version of a Walmart ad that loosely dates, but does not price a "rollback" for Nintendo's console. While the ad is not official confirmation of a price drop, the timing makes sense, as the Wii is about to enter its fourth holiday shopping season at its original price.

Should Nintendo announce a price drop prior to October, it has a venue at which to do it. The company will be participating at the Kyoto Cross Media Experience 2009, a multimedia event that runs September 26th to October 4th, overlapping with the Tokyo Game Show.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata just recently said that the company is not planning on announcing a price drop. "Right now," Iwata said at a recent investor Q&A, "there aren't a lot of discussions going on about what exactly to do about hardware pricing."

Of course, that "right now" was from early August and plans may have changed. Sales of the Wii in the U.S. are down by almost half from last year during the summer quarter. A price drop and upcoming marquee software releases like Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros. Wii may turn things around.

With Microsoft and Sony recently issuing their own price cuts on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Nintendo may be wisely following suit.

Due to the unofficial nature of the price drop info, we're labeling this rumor for now. We've been in touch with Nintendo of America and Walmart to get comment, but have not yet heard back.
                            Advance retail listings forwarded to Kotaku indicate that Nintendo is planning to issue its first price drop on the Wii, with a less expensive version of the console—currently priced at $249 USD—coming the first week of October.

Comment

• This is good news. I'll get my mom a new Wii for Christmas. The one she has right now is mine, and I'd like it back on account of all the classic game downloads I have for it.
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• BTW, who else here has a PSN network id?

I'm Moosely

Comment

Working...
                                X