No announcement yet.

Console Wars VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read a couple of days ago that there are rumours MS will stop selling the Elite, as the retailers sell so little of them and want only two models; one with and one without a HDD. I'll see if I can find the article.

EDIT: The article is in Norwegian, but they cite this site as their source. Never heard of the site, have anyone seen this mentioned elsewhere?
    Last edited by Nikolai; March 10, 2009, 18:41.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• 120GB is a lot. But some people (who download lots of media etc) seem to like them. Personally if I have to replace mine (likely at some point) I'll get the standard 60GB one.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
        ....... Personally if I have to replace mine (likely at some point) I'll get the standard 60GB one.
        Why would you want to replace your 360(with another one)? I still have my original Xbox/GC/GBA/Sega Master system(!) - i never needed/wanted to buy a new one of those?

And in terms of waiting for the next-gen(Zero question), i think it's just not worth playing that game or you will always be waiting. If you want to play games, get a console now - i don't see console gaming changing that much that a new machine will bring that much different to be worth holding out for. But i'm a cynical non console lover these days

Comment

• I have a NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube as well. Whether they actually work or not is a separate thing altogether. They've been parked with relatives and friends and they've had drinks spilled on them and taken pummellings from irate gamers.

But a lot of the games are available on Virtual Console now. I was amazed to find Dragon Boy III on that again. Certainly brings back the memories.
          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Cid View Post
            Why would you want to replace your 360(with another one)? I still have my original Xbox/GC/GBA/Sega Master system(!) - i never needed/wanted to buy a new one of those?

I am going to replace my current dead one with the arcade version, and move the Hard drive to the new one. The current one is now out of warranty (and this one has been to repair center and fixed or refurbed 8 times), and it would probably cost $120 to get it fixed (again). For around $90 more, I will get one with the newer components inside the thing that run cooler and quieter then the current brick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zero View Post
              I want to get a ps3 whenever they do a price cut, but I'm thinking if it's too late it's not even worth getting one and holding out for next gen. Especially since now that I own a 360. I wasnt even thinking about owning a console before that...
              The only reason to get a PS3, IMO (and I own a PS3 but no Xbox/Wii) is if you intend to use it as a Blu Ray player that happens to play games on the side. It serves very well in this capacity, and is a better deal than buying a blu ray + a game machine.

For me, the PS3 has been a Blu Ray player first, game machine second, and on-demand movie rental port third (that aspect of the psn store has been a very nice addition, and seems to be picking up support quicker of late).

The kids, however, use it more as a pure game machine. More often than not fighting in Little Big Planet, these days.

If you are a "serious" gamer first, the 360 is the thing to get. Heck, even casual player that doesn't want/need blu-ray, or already has one, the 360 is the way to go.
              Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; March 11, 2009, 11:57.
              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
                I have a NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube as well. Whether they actually work or not is a separate thing altogether. They've been parked with relatives and friends and they've had drinks spilled on them and taken pummellings from irate gamers.
                Sure you still have them? A relative dumped my NES and complete collection of games on it a while back without my knowledge. Had something ludicrous like 200+ games since folks kept giving them to me when they upgraded. (I went from NES straight to PS1, as far as consoles go, none of the fancier nintendo products)
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• My NES collection was dumped by my father without my knowledge a few years ago. He asked if the machine still worked, I answered truthfully that it didn't. So he dumped it all, games and machine. I was SO angry. It isn't impossible to fix such machines, or get a new one. A friend of mine got lucky and got one with a few games used in an arcade hall for 50 NOK. That's less than 10 bucks.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx View Post
                    Sure you still have them? A relative dumped my NES and complete collection of games on it a while back without my knowledge.
                    Ouch!

Yes, I still have them in the family's US-side storage unit. The SNES needs a new power pack but should work fine. The NES boots okay but I can't get the controllers to work correctly. The N64 was in fine condition as recently as 2005 and the last game I played on it was Goldeneye. Gamecube is with my brother and he has no intention of selling it. Wii is in my media center and I'm debating getting "Madworld" for it.
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Cid View Post
                      A leading question if I ever saw one......

As you well know the 360 has some reliability issues.

Comment

....... Wii is in my media center and I'm debating getting "Madworld" for it.
                        I remember reading somewhere that Madworld is kind of a reaction to the bad sales they got for Okami - kind of like a "f**k you kids, we made a wonderfull non violent(well you could feed cute animals) game and you didnt buy it. You want violence....ok we will give you more violence than you've ever seen before"....kinda thing. I think it's living up nicely to that from what i've seen and heard of it so far

Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
                        A leading question if I ever saw one......

As you well know the 360 has some reliability issues.
                        shush! Asher will get mad at you(us!)........still it's worth every penny right? even twice/thrice over.....clever MS

Comment

• Okami is pretty awesome too. I have it and it is flat-out beautiful.

It's definitely a game to play on your own though, because there is a lot of text and backstory to get through, and if you've got spectators they may start getting antsy and making snarky comments. Then you'll end up administering a thorough ass-beating, which will silence the snarky comments for now, but it will only make more work with the bleach and luminol fluid, not to mention all the digging you'll have to do in the backyard after-hours when the neighbors are asleep.

So in the long run Okami's basically a single player game.

If Madworld is like Double Dragon, which I've been told it is, then I think my brother will love it to bits and I'll enjoy it too.
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

• harumph. i thought this was the babe thread.

though asher being the last poster should have been a clue.
                            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                              We can agree to disagree. I prefer quality over quantity. If you want over-moderated, quantity-over-quality posts you should check out the IGN forums where posts like what LOTM makes are the norm. No one has any real sense of what's being discussed, but they talk about it anyway. It's a vacuum of intelligent discussion.
                              Like this place is the center of intelligent gaming discussion on the net. Try quartertothree, I dare you.

Folks who want to learn more technical stuff and are offended by the repartee at qto3 can go to beyond3d. They can even read you there, though you can't bully people there.

This is a place where we relax by talking about games. At least it used to be.

Pushing people to try harder, even when it's done by being caustic and abrasive, is just how I roll. People know it by now.

People think I'm mean, but that's life. If LOTM was really bothered by it, and I genuinely don't think he is, there's a sure-fire way to get me to stop. He knows that, he doesn't do it -- and in fact, he enjoys pushing my buttons as it is.
                              I could shut up, but I won't. I am here. Get used to it.

So I'm terribly confused by LOTM's position. He wants me to stop being an ass, so he pushes my buttons and trolls me to provoke it? Let's be clear here -- LOTM knows what he's asking for by posting what he does, and how he does it.
                              I continue to hope that one day you will learn the art of disagreeing without being disagreeable. In my experience, people do usually grow up.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Actually, I was waiting for you to say something like this - at least this way we understand each other.

In this case, your inability to be civil outweighs the dubious benefits of wading through your vitriol to get at the good bits.

Asher -> ignore list. Hope you get your job groove back. Good luck.
                                YOU ARE SO ANNOYING. FOR THE LAST TIME IF YOU IGNORE SOMEONE YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TELL THEM. By definition, it DOES NOT MATTER IF THEY KNOW BECAUSE YOU ARE IGNORING THEM. Their response is IRRELEVANT.

Only the most menopausal women say something and then close their ears saying NANANAN I CANNOT HEAR YOU. I have had it happen to me before and they always call back a week later looking to score and what do I do? I make a loud buzzing noise as seen in basketball games during substitutions and tell them I'm doing their sister.

Comment

Working...
                                X