Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing PC games online through downloading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing PC games online through downloading.

Who here has bought a PC game by downloading it from a website (like Electronic Boutique)?

I am thinking of buying Civilization IV Warlords expansion by downloading it from EB since it doesn't seem that many stores have it on their shelves anymore.

But before I do this, I have one concern. When I buy PC games in the traditional way, with box and CD I know I will always be able to re-install my games if my computer ever crashes.

But what about a PC game I've downloaded? Can I make a transferable copy of it onto a CD so I have peace of mind knowing I have a backup if my computer ever crashes?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

I primarily use Direct2Drive... it seems to be very reliable (it's provided by IGN) and allows multiple installations with no trouble (I've reinstalled BTS many times and never even had to call for a reset of my install key). At least with Direct2Drive, you can re-download it (I've redownloaded BtS at least 3 times) years later (but yes, you can put it on a cd or dvd depending on the installer size, if you prefer).
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I can't stand Direct2Drive due to the lame name. Awful.

I use Steam and Impulse.

Both permit you to re-download at any time in the future at no cost.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

See, another reason for you to use Direct2Drive.

Comment

Cool! So I can simply re-download any game I would lose after originally purchasing it.

How does that work? Do you need some kind of account number or code to get permission to re-download for free? An answer from either of you two will be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
            Cool! So I can simply re-download any game I would lose after originally purchasing it.

How does that work? Do you need some kind of account number or code to get permission to re-download for free? An answer from either of you two will be helpful.
            With Steam and Impulse you have an account. Your purchases are associated with the account.

I find it great because when I'm at my parents' place 2,000 miles from my apartment, I can decide I want to play, say, Galactic Civilizations II and just log into Impulse and click "Install". It knows I've already bought it. So it downloads and installs, then I have it again. Then I can delete it if I need space, then download again in the future...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

It depends on the service, actually. EA, for example, charges to allow you to re-download, the b****rds. They're the only games I won't buy online (unless they put them at D2D or Steam or similar, though I haven't run into a game they sold that they did offer elsewhere yet - maybe Impulse is different, Asher??)

With Direct2Drive, you have an account (if you already have an IGN or Gamespy account, you use that) and log into that, it stores your games and passwords (and also allows you to download patches). It uses a small downloader to actually deliver the game to you (though it does not have to be running to play the game - they have a single activation model).

With Steam, you have the Steam client, which you log in with your Steam account, and have access to your game list from that.

Comment

Also, where exactly do your parents live, Asher? I didn't think Calgary was 2,000 miles away from Toronto ... but maybe I just have a poor concept of distance.

Comment

Calgary is 3,400 km or 2,112 miles from Toronto. I know this because I've driven it several times.

The flight is about 3.5 hours one way, 4 hours the other.

Comment

Sounds like a fun drive...

Comment

The most scenic prairies you'll ever spend 5 days driving through.

Comment

5 days... that's a bit long. I'd probably do it in 3 (12 hours a day, at around 70 mph hopefully) ... but still, certainly long. (I assume i'd have a second driver with me, though; by myself, perhaps i'd take longer).

Comment

We did 5 days/8 hours each time. It works best that way because then you actually stop in real cities on the way, rather than shanties...

Comment

Ah, that does help. When I did my road trip this summer, we planned it roughly that way actually (8 hours a day or so) but it was in order to hit certain spots we were aiming to hit (Mt Rushmore and such). I suspect we have rather more significant sized towns than you do in our prairie, though...

Of course, it didn't help that we did a road trip in South Dakota during Sturgis...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

With Steam and Impulse you have an account. Your purchases are associated with the account.

I find it great because when I'm at my parents' place 2,000 miles from my apartment, I can decide I want to play, say, Galactic Civilizations II and just log into Impulse and click "Install". It knows I've already bought it. So it downloads and installs, then I have it again. Then I can delete it if I need space, then download again in the future...

Sweet!

Comment

Working...
                              X