Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the dance games of yesteryear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the dance games of yesteryear?

I remember playing a load of Pump It Up and Dance Dance Revolution about three years ago. Every party I went to would have one or the other or both. Not everybody did it, but enough people did to make it socially the done thing to have those games.

Now... not so much. When did the dance games disappear? Is it tied to the rise of Rock Band and Guitar Hero?
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Yeah, I'd say Guitar Hero killed them off. They're basically the same basic rhythm games, but you can play GH while only looking mildly retarded, while DDR is full blown chromosomes to spare retarded.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

DDR is still around, but yeah GH (and to an extent RB, but it's really expensive over here so hasn't sold that well) & that karaoke game are more popular it seems.

Comment

Re: Where are the dance games of yesteryear?

Are you dancing?

Surely there's a dance game for the Wii Fit, or at least one in development.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch
          Yeah, I'd say Guitar Hero killed them off. They're basically the same basic rhythm games, but you can play GH while only looking mildly retarded, while DDR is full blown chromosomes to spare retarded.
          They are both really fun and equally retarded looking, but in the U.S looking like a dork with fisher price like guitar is less gay and manlier than dancing. That makes it more acceptable and more popular. :shrug:
          :-p

Comment

Re: Re: Where are the dance games of yesteryear?

Originally posted by duke o' york
            Are you dancing?

Surely there's a dance game for the Wii Fit, or at least one in development.
            I saw a pad for the wii in one of the black friday ads. Looked like a cross between a DDR pad, and the OLD, OLD, OLD twister pad lookin thing for the NES that came with that olympics game thing....(my neighbor actually had that ) Didn't pay attention to what game it was for.

Also saw a lady in line at KMart on black friday with what appeared to be a DDR knockoff that consisted of the pad, and plugged straight into the TV, no system needed. Didn't really pay attention to the name.
            One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Yesteryear?

It's called the hokie pokie,

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Where are the dance games of yesteryear?

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

I saw a pad for the wii in one of the black friday ads. Looked like a cross between a DDR pad, and the OLD, OLD, OLD twister pad lookin thing for the NES that came with that olympics game thing....(my neighbor actually had that ) Didn't pay attention to what game it was for.
                I believe you are refering to Track and field. Good times good times.

You ain't OG if you don't know that Ya gotta jump to the side and wait for the long jump!

Man track and field and duck hunt would be a nice relic to own. It's perfect nostalgia game for my generation.
                :-p

Comment

You went to parties with 'dance games'?

Am I living in the only sane place in the world or what?
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

No, I think you just missed out on a fun but short-lived fad.

I dug out my Pump It Up dance pad from the basement. (Well it's mine now, technically...) But the middle pad doesn't work anymore
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I still play at my freinds house, occasionally, but GH has definitely took over as what they do.

I like DDR a lot better to be honest, it requires coordination and gets my blood flowing too.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yeah, me too. I like RB and GH, but PIU and DDR were great full body workouts. It was like getting your exercise while having fun.

Cycling is still my #1 kickass exercise, but there's less call for music when doing that.
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

The bodily coordination is also something you don't get in activities like cycling or running, and that you also don't get in games like GH and RB. The latter two have coordination, but it is just in the fingers, which lot s of other (Arguably more valuable, and in many cases more fun) things also require.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where are the dance games of yesteryear?

Originally posted by Zero

I believe you are refering to Track and field. Good times good times.

You ain't OG if you don't know that Ya gotta jump to the side and wait for the long jump!

Man track and field and duck hunt would be a nice relic to own. It's perfect nostalgia game for my generation.
                            I actually have a power glove somewhere in storage... Along with the glove ball game.

Duck Hunt is still fun. So fun making my older brother miss the ducks (you could move the ducks on controller 1 while the gun was in slot 2).
                            One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

If I had to guess why they fell out of favor- the pads kept breaking.

Ha Traivinus... I went to DDR parties as well. . You missed out.
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X