A very simple question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very simple question.

Is this game worth purchasing? I've read conflicting reviews.

I’ve played probably 200 hours of Spore. My opinion on whether the game is worth it depends on what you like. Spore is a sandbox game. You really can’t lose, and the game is designed that way. If you are a hard core gamer/strategist you will probably think it is a bit thin. But if you think designing creatures and exploring your sandbox is fun then you’ll likely like the game.

Plus:
    • Amazing graphics – fully integrated, natural touch and feel. Superb
    • Easy to learn – mostly intuitive, well designed
    • Creative – it’s a sandbox game, so experimentation is The Deal. The tools you get in each phase are fun (or at least they were for me)
    • Spore web site – you can share your creations, get feedback

Minus:
    • Easy to learn – the flip side is that the game does not have a lot of depth. Some portions of the game are much more linear than others
    • No penalties – you can try all sorts of really stupid creatures, vehicles, ships that would NEVER work in anything like real life. Want your space ship to look like Sarah Palin with really big breasts? SURE! Or your creature to look like a worn out tire with googlie eyes. NO PROBLEM!

There are a 5 phases of the game:
    • Tidepool – a 2D arcade style game. Fun. Short
    • Creature – lots of creativity, some fun traits and strategies to experiment with.
    • Tribe phase – boring. Linear.
    • Civilization phase – even more boring. Very linear. The building creator is kind of fun, though
    • Space stage – much more fun for me. I ended up ignoring the first four stages so I could play a few space games without having to fiddle with the first 4 stages of the game. Space is HUGE. The vast majority of my time was spent in the space stage

This is my personal 'Widget' from the my personal Spore web page. You can scroll through to see creatures, buildings, vehicles, ships - kind of cool! My Spore avatar is my yellow space ship.

Hydro

Comment

Working...
    X