Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Far Cry 2

Anyone played it yet?

I picked it up yesterday, after finding out Fallout 3 won't be out until 13th Nov in Singapore.

But this game is pretty damn good. It's like playing an MMO, in fact it is probably a lot like playing Fallout 3, just in a different setting.

It is a very fun game, the graphics are on par with Crysis. I have yet to actually get deeper into this game, as currently I am just wandering around the huge map trying to get my bearings.

So far, setting fire to the grass and watching it spread towards your enemies car causing it to blow up is the most satisfying.
    be free

Does it run better than Crysis yet?

I refuse to give money to lazy developers.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I played it for like 30 min. so far it hasn't cought my attention, and with Fallout 3 currently installing I'm probably not going to play it any time soon

I can't comment on if it runs better than Crysis as I got a new computer since then
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I saw some good 360 reviews - sounds like a very different and open ended FPS game.

Comment

Far Cry 2 is an amazing game. It looks great, the controls are tight, the missions are varied and entertaining, and there are tons of weapons and strategies to play around with.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
            I played it for like 30 min. so far it hasn't cought my attention,
            :-p

Comment

Most of the reviews on Amazon.co.uk for the PC version focus on the heavy handed DRM which kinda put me off.

Comment

I played it a lot, and had tons of fun with it, up until something happened when I was 65% complete. At that point it angered me so much that I had to remove it from the computer. Both Far Cry games have had what I refer to as LOS idiosyncracies. In the original Far Cry, the LOS problem was that the enemies could often see you through the foliage. It was only after I'd played enough to get the special night vision goggles and done some playing with the detail settings that I figured out why. A lot of the grass and brush in Far Cry scaled in size and density based on your Environmental Detail setting. If you had it maxxed, you had heavy undergrowth. If you had it turned down to the minimum, you had some bushes and trees but mostly bare ground. The goggles combination of thermal and light intensification would let you see hot silhouettes through the foliage that only appeared with the detail slider, but not through the fixed flora. The NPCs did the same. All that grass didn't block their LOS.

In Far Cry 2, apparently two things are happening. First, all nearby enemies seem to wind up in an ad hoc group, and if any know where you are, every enemy in the group instantly knows exactly where you are. I've had NPCs who could not see me because a giant rock outcropping was in the way instantly start shooting at me when another I could see spotted me. The second thing is they keep knowing where you are until you get well out of their weapon range. Normally this isn't a problem. The asshat with the mortar is another matter entirely. When he can drop mortar rounds on your head and you're half a mile away in the jungle without error, there's a problem. After dealing with that for the most frustrating half hour of gaming I'd ever experienced, I'd had enough.

Now, aside from that, it was a good game. My advice to you is that to avoid most of the big complaints about the game, avoid the checkpoints when you can. Drive on the rails when possible, go cross country when you can, take boats whenever you can. Once you get to the south section of the map, don't even bother with road vehicles, go on foot and only at night. They can't see as far at night.
                Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Standup
                  Most of the reviews on Amazon.co.uk for the PC version focus on the heavy handed DRM which kinda put me off.
                  I don't buy PC games with DRM.

You shouldn't either.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                  X