No announcement yet.

Lord of the Rings Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next expansion announced: http://www.massively.com/2009/09/04/...wood/#comments

"Siege of Mirkwood"

Not too much details yet. Level cap is going up to 65.

The next expansion for Turbine's Lord of the Rings Online has just been revealed (along with the logo above): players will be able to download Siege of Mirkwood this fall and finish the epic storyline of Volume II that began with the Mines of Moria. Specifically, this will include Volume II Book 9 and an Epilogue. The level cap will be raised to 65, and along with the predictable traits, skills and virtues that come from extra levels, there will also be some new class quests. For the raiders, a new 12-man challenge involving the Nazgûl Lord awaits, and additional 3 and 6-man instances will cater to those hungry for small group content. Some enhancements to the Legendary items system and an upgrade to the game's responsiveness will be making it in too.

A brand new feature to be introduced to Lord of the Rings Online in Siege of Mirkwood is the Skirmishes system:

Skirmishes offer endless action in repeatable, randomized instances where players can create and lead customizable soldiers into battle, training them to greater skill as they earn victories against the forces of shadow. Answer the call of war wherever violence erupts with the new "World Join" function that lets players and their fellowships band together to fight in various locations throughout Middle-earth.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by denisjhon
      Hi,
      I like the game Lord of the Rings because its easy to play this game and its really interested to play. I love to play Online games because plying via online is very enjoyable.
      I'm guessing you're practicing your English here. Just a quick note - "interested" should be "interesting." Don't be bashful. We're mean people, but only because we're having fun.

As far as the new expansion goes, it sounds cool as ****. Most high level play I get into vicariously, but I'm paid up for a few more months, so I suppose I should get back to work leveling.

The Great Barrow kicked my ass about eleven times over again.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• LOTRO is going free to play (as an option) in the very near future, both in North America AND Europe:

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Does LotRO use the same movement controls as DDO?
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• From the breakdown of offerings it seems like they are creating a F2P model that will have you deal with some hefty restrictions unless you choose to subscribe. Such as max gold allowable to have, no pvmp and some other I can't remember.

Although you can pay to lift those restrictions. To early to tell really what's what, what items will be available to purchase, whether it's more econimcal to sub or to just pay to lift some of the restricitons etc.....or to early to care at this point. Except that I would hate to see the lotro store go into gear territory even though i know they said they never would.

Although the forums are ablaze. I stocked up on popcorn this morning.

As to DDO, there was a thread the other day comparing DDO controls to lotro. I think lotro is more restricted, but don't quote me on that.

Lotro still has a place in my heart and is easily a top MMO for pve fun.
            While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
              LOTRO is going free to play (as an option) in the very near future, both in North America AND Europe:

http://www.lotro.com/news/709
              Presumably it's the original game and not the full set of expansions? Press release says free up to level 50. Otherwise a bit sucky for those that bought lifetime subs.

Still good though - might give it a look if I get chance

Comment

• no expansions, those must be purchased even for free to play.

Although the lifers and subbers get 500 lotro store points every month as part of the sub...along with full game access.
                While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
                  Presumably it's the original game and not the full set of expansions? Press release says free up to level 50. Otherwise a bit sucky for those that bought lifetime subs.

Still good though - might give it a look if I get chance
                  Why would it be sucky for those with lifetime subs?

Lifetime subs are automatically lifetime VIP subscribers (you don't need to pay to unlock content, etc). You also get 500 (actually I think 1000 for lifetimers total, 500 for sub + 500 for lifetime?) free points a month for **** like the cosmetics that get put in the LOTRO store.

I'm not at all surprised to see you are completely ignorant about another game, DrSpike. Go back to your Call of Duty.

Comment

• Can't you boys play nice for once?

Comment

• DrSpike is a serial murderer of reason and rationality.

Comment

Why would it be sucky for those with lifetime subs?

Lifetime subs are automatically lifetime VIP subscribers (you don't need to pay to unlock content, etc). You also get 500 (actually I think 1000 for lifetimers total, 500 for sub + 500 for lifetime?) free points a month for **** like the cosmetics that get put in the LOTRO store.

I'm not at all surprised to see you are completely ignorant about another game, DrSpike. Go back to your Call of Duty.
                        So you wouldn't be annoyed if it was made totally free to play, including the expansions? I imagine like many of your views that would not be widely held amongst the lifetime subscribers.

Comment

• I'm amazed you still don't understand what you're talking about.

Turbine's business model, and I know this because I play DDO free to play, is to provide a base set of content for free. Then you can buy new content piecemeal.

Only the original game is fully free, I expect they'll put up the next "Books" from the expansion (and areas to venture from the expansion) as individual purchases in the store.

If they made the whole game free, like you stupidly suggest, THEY WOULD MAKE NO MONEY. Obviously they would never do that.

Even IF they did, NO I would not be pissed. I paid $199 for a lifetime subscription in 2007. The accumulated monthly fees I'd have paid since then is well over $500. I've already gotten an incredible value out of the investment.

In addition to having access to all current and future content automatically, they give me free credits to spend per month on the other **** they'll put in the store (potions, etc I'm sure).

Thank you for contributing so much to this thread. Your solid understanding of gaming fundamentals and its enabling businesses is very appreciated.

Comment

• The new content and improvements Turbine have added to this game since launch has been incredible. They're now maintaining three versions of its graphics engine -- DX9, DX10, and once this launches in the fall, DX11. It's still the best looking MMO on the market 3 years later, 'cause they always improve on it.

Comment

• "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The new content and improvements Turbine have added to this game since launch has been incredible. They're now maintaining three versions of its graphics engine -- DX9, DX10, and once this launches in the fall, DX11. It's still the best looking MMO on the market 3 years later, 'cause they always improve on it.
                                really??

Comment

Working...
                                X