No announcement yet.

Lord of the Rings Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After all this buildup, you know it's going to suck.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• One should never explain jokes. And it's not half as funny as Asher's reaction anyway.

Comment

• I think you'll find everyone's reaction here to be the same...a kind of "uhh, okay".

Fail, DrSpike, Fail...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• What joke? It was an oblique reference at best. Like if I quoted an episode of Beverly Hillbillies and expected everyone to applaud my wit.

Comment

• Anyway...back on topic from the evil DrSpike's threadjack.

I'm gearing up for the Watcher in the Water raid

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Whats your opinion of "Radiance Gating" so far Asher.

Seems like quite a few whine incessantly about it.
              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

• Originally posted by conmcb25 View Post
                Whats your opinion of "Radiance Gating" so far Asher.

Seems like quite a few whine incessantly about it.
                I don't mind it. There's a ton of end-game content available if you have no radiance gear, so I don't get the whining. It's essentially another form of carrot-dangling, providing more stages to the game: once you're L60, you can't go beat everything in the game. You need to be supremely equipped to take on the most dangerous parts of the world, which makes sense.

It's really easy to get the radiance pieces, for what it's worth. You can even do 3-man instances to get them, guaranteed. It's not like games that require 40-man raids then one piece drops.

Comment

• Captain Cangaroo is up to level 20 now. It's kind of slow going during the work-week, and I'm moving in to a new place soon, so that's going to occupy even more time. Still, I'm getting into it. I've been taking it slow and doing all the quests I can, which makes it pretty easy. That also slows the leveling a bit.

Comment

• Awesome. That's definitely the way to do it, and how I did it also. LOTRO isn't a game for powerlevellers, you need to take it all in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      I don't mind it. There's a ton of end-game content available if you have no radiance gear, so I don't get the whining. It's essentially another form of carrot-dangling, providing more stages to the game: once you're L60, you can't go beat everything in the game. You need to be supremely equipped to take on the most dangerous parts of the world, which makes sense.

It's really easy to get the radiance pieces, for what it's worth. You can even do 3-man instances to get them, guaranteed. It's not like games that require 40-man raids then one piece drops.
                      Well, I suspect that most of the whining is about how radiance gear gating has been a different direction for the game. Mind you , i'm not particularly for or against it.

Up until the radiance change, the most dangerous parts of the world were accesible to anyone at the level cap. Yes, gear and traits helped, but there wasn't a hard block. Some say it fostered a more casual type of participation which seemed to be the hallmark of the game and what differentiated it from others. There wasn't the requirement of having a certain set in order to even be able to set foot into the hardest raid and be effective.

Radiance in lotro is almost like frost/fire/shadow in wow. Some end game wow raids required a certain amount of frost etc. gear or you would be toasted...don't bother. In lotro that means you need a certain amount of radiance or you will "cower" making your toon useless.

In the original game, there was that mechanic (hotly debated because of its fairly artificial "cheese" mechanic) but still not to the extent that MOM has. A capped toon could still run and be successful with only a combo of crafted/quested gear. You didn't have to run instances to gear up for anything.

This really is a fundamental change to the original game that people enjoyed for the first 2 years. Especially those that played to get away from the gear grind type of thing. Hence the reason so many dislike it. Especially those with capped alts.

They have a legitimate point. Again, it isn't my point.

The main concern is for alts I guess. Having to run through the new hoops that weren't there before. In the original you could swap alt toons based on what your run needed. Now you can't unless the alt also has jumped through the gear hoops. And that was never a part of the original game.
                      While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
                        Hehe who said anything about WoW?
                        :-p

Comment

• Happy days.

Comment

• Fail, DrSpike...Fail.

Comment

• Don't worry, you'll know better next time. Life is about learning and growing.

Comment

• Shoot me if I ever make stupid references like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X