GOG, Good Old Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOG, Good Old Games

Found an article on a computer news site about an interesting concept: GOG, Good Old Games. It's a new games portal a la Steam and GamersGate, only with older games, not new ones. And the great part is, all games are DRM-free! So there's no limits on the number of downloads, installs or similar things. All games are rewritten to work in XP and Vista. The prices are $5.99 and $9.99. Also, there's extras like guides and walkthroughs, mp3 soundtracks and wallpapers. I don't know about you, but I'm drooling away already.

Games confirmed at launch:

$9.99:
    1NSANE

$5.99:
    Conquest of the New World
    Descent + Descent 2
    Descent 3 + Expansion
    Die by the Sword + Expansion
    Earthworm Jim 3D
    Evolva
    F/A-18E Super Hornet
    Fallout
    Fallout 2
    Fallout Tactics
    Freespace + Expansion
    Freespace 2
    Giants : Citizen Kabuto
    Invictus In the Shadow of Olympus
    Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business
    Kingpin: Life of Crime
    Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
    M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2
    MDK
    MDK 2
    Messiah
    Original War
    Sacrifice
    Shattered Steel
    Shogo: Mobile Armor Division

...and games that'll come soon:

Perimeter
    Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
    Colin McRae Rally 2005
    Operation Flashpoint GOTY
    Redneck Rampage Collection
    Soldiers: Heroes of World War II
    Stonekeep
    TOCA Race Driver 3

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Great idea making them DRM free and XP/Vista compatible, I think that is key for this kind of thing.
    Some good games listed, but there are loads more they hopefuly will look to add - past games hold some of the best gaming experiences you can have today

Comment

Great idea, though some of those games aren't really that good.

Comment

i signed up for the beta, and finally got my password a couple of weeks ago, and if I wasn't deep into Civ4 would get something. On that list mainly interested in the Fallouts, maybe Freespace and JA?
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Should add Lemmings, Beneath a Steel Sky, Flashback, and Prince of Persia to the list.
          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Descent
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

If they can go back far enough, they should add Archon, Captain Goodnight, Zaxxon, and TIE Fighter as well.
              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

You can play XWing Alliance already, but yes, I'd love to play Tie Fighter... tempted to go grab my CD and see if I can coerce it to install on Vista, honestly ...

Also, Zaxxon
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Moebius as well.
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

If you want to play really old games they are easy to find on emulators.

Comment

I have some of them for DOSBox. But it's a hassle to get them running sometimes.
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I thought this was going to be a nostalgic discussion about things like secret of mana on the SNES lol

I'd be tempted to give evolva and jagged alliance 2 a shot, played most of the others.
                        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

My brother played Secret of Mana a lot and said it was one of the best JRPGs ever made. I've been meaning to play it sometime.
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

As above, easy to play on a SNES emulator if you so wish.

Comment

Out of that list so far, i think only JA2 would interest me. Either, as Dr.Spike pointed out, the others are not that great or I've got them all ready(M.A.X games are good games by the way, graphics and interfaces aside).

Second vote for X-Wing/Tie-Fighter as XP/Vista friendly.

Also if we can suggest dream possibles:

1. Daggerfall 1.5 - XP Stable, finished factions and all the bells and whistles that the original design team wanted to achieve(might need to find Julian LeFay to get it done proper).

2. Hammar of the Gods - just had a huge problem getting this to run properly on XP, even on my other 98se pc's.

3. System Shock(I+II) - never got around to playing these, and have heard a lot of good things.I suspect they still would offer a lot that most console fps games today fail to deliver.

4. SMAC - many people seem to have issues with this on XP(maybe other systems like Steam have already picked this up?), although I play my copy on one of my w98 rigs.

I guess, weirdly enough i'm probably not the target audience for this scheme.
                              I love old games, I have 3 era's of PC to play games on, and have played many all ready so.......but for the newly dissolusioned this is a great way to get to play some great old games with no problem on modern machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X