Gladiator Strategy Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladiator Strategy Thread

These are some of the strategies and tactics I have seen while GMing (along with a few of my own ideas). This guide assumes you are familiar with the rules of the game, but are still a novice. I have categorized this guide into two parts: One I call "Tactics" and the other "Strategies". The Tactics section discusses how to distribute your ADP points most efficiently. The strategy section presents a number of methods you can use to defeat your opponent.

Feel free to submit your own strategies in this thread.

Tactics

Your ADP values are modified by your weapon and armor values. I will call the ADP values modified by W/A values before you distribute any points your "base" ADP values. For instance, if you have 12 W and 8 A your "base" ADP values would be:
    Code:
    ADP*
    6412 - A
    6412 - A
    6412 - A
    *Note that your base Power depends on your opponent's armor value

You should also calculate your opponents base ADP values as well.

With this information, you should first note the minimum amount of power you need to have in order to damage your opponent. If their Armor value is greater than your weapons value, you will have to add their difference +1 in order to do 1 damage. On the other hand, if your Weapons value is greater than your opponents armor, you can damage him without adding anything to power. This can be useful in some situations.

You should next compare your base Attack and Defense values. By taking the difference between your opponent's base attack and your base defense and add one, you get the minimum amount of points you must add to block your opponent's attack. Similarly, you can calculate the minimum amount you must add to your attack value in order to hit your opponent.

Do not waste points: Do not distribute points in such a way that they come out less than the minimum values discussed above. You can get a hit but do no damage!

Similarly, if your opponent is nearing death, do not spend more power than is necessary to bring him down to 0 HP.

You should not lock yourself into using the minimum ADP values. It is often better to concentrate your points into 1 or 2 categories.

Strategies
    The Gladiator that can best predict their opponents strategy will win. In order to do this you should study your opponent's fights.

The following is a number methods I have observed while GMing. The numbers given are examples only to give you an idea how the strategy works.

Even Distribution
    Unmodified, this is a poor strategy but one that new players sometimes use:
    Code:
    ADP
    Besides having a low damage potential, an observant opponent can recognize this strategy immediately. The next method is similar but more successful:

Uneven Distribution
    Like the previous strategy, points are distributed into ever category, but not evenly. Instead of using a random constant, you use your base values in each category plus a constant for each value:
    Code:
    ADP
    b.a + xb.d + yb.p + z
    b.a + xb.d + yb.p + z
    b.a + xb.d + yb.p + z
    The constants you use will depend on what you think your opponent is going to do. You can emphasize one category over another: Having strong attack and power values while using the minimum defensive value is a common approach.

Single Attack
    Unlike the previous strategy were points were distributed into all segments, this one one Attacks only on one line and defends in the other. The idea is to block two of your opponent's attacks and deliver one big blow. This is usually an effective counter to the previous strategy. Exp:
    Code:
    ADP
    By sacrificing some attack or power, you can also add some defense into the attacking line. This is a common modification.

Double Attack
    This is like the previous method except with 2 attack lines and one defense. It's high damage strategy, though you may take a considerably amount yourself if you guess wrong. Exp:
    Code:
    ADP
    Strong Attack
    This strategy is usually used only when you are ahead and are going for the elusive KO, and you think your opponent is going to use a defensive strategy. You use high attack values and decent power values:
    Code:
    ADP
    Power Attack
    Use this strategy with caution. You must be fairly confident that your opponent is going to put little into defense. If its successful it is devastating for your opponent, if it fails....
    Code:
    ADP
    Invincible
    This is the defensive strategy, it is usually used only if you are ahead in a round robbin match, though there are exceptions. A gladiator with 20 armor who uses this strategy is almost invincible.
    Code:
    ADP
    I hope this helps!
    "

I would take exception to even distribution being a poor strategy. It is against high armor opponents, but can work well against high weapon opponents.

Probably the single best thing a new player can do to help himself is figuring out the ADP difference between you and your opponent, and then use that exclusively when calculating your "to hit" and damage modifiers. FE, if you have 10 weapon and 10 armor, but your opponent has 20 weapon and 0 armor, you have +5 "to hit" and +10 power/damage. Add those values into your calculations and don't think about the real values; i.e. 10W/10A vs 20W/0A. It'll be just as accurate and less of a headache to use.
    Last edited by Theben; October 5, 2008, 23:50.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Do I hear an echo? How is that different from what I said under the tactics section?

And the definition I used for even distribution is just putting 10s and 15s in all categories, without any other considerations. I'll agree that "uneven" distribution can be a good strategy.
      "

Comment

I think this is a useful high level overview for new Gladiators, and should help attract more people in.

But actually this is really just the first stage - i.e. I don't usually win just by knowing the above. The real skill is in crafting orders that perform well against a range of likely possible orders from your opponent. This needs to change for matches with different effective power bonuses. I don't win every round of course, nothing like it - but I do win more than you'd expect from merely analysing the above.

And of course, a lot of the game is picking which way your opponent with jump. This one is hard to pin down - but I find I can get it right much more often than chance. The scientist in me says that this is just a manifestation of reflection on the various option open to each player, an internalisation of the local Nash equilibria and dominated strategies (game theory terms) my brain can see. But it could just be you need a good gut to play Gladiators.

Comment

Originally posted by EPW
          Do I hear an echo? How is that different from what I said under the tactics section?
          Hopefully mine was a bit clearer. Espec since I didn't get what I wrote from your post.
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I think your description is highly confusing, but if it helps some so be it.
            "

Comment

Actually what you said has nothing to do with what I wrote... two different subjects.

Comment

They are fundamentally the same.
                "

Comment

Why does Theban have to be so argumentative.
                  "

Comment

It's to cover up his weakness at Gladiator strategy.

Comment

Working...
                    X