GCA Conference 08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCA Conference 08

I attended the GCA conference 2008 today and yesterday.

Not a lot of interesting stuff, but I wanted to say something about Peter Molyneux's presentation of how to make believable worlds, using Fable 2 as his showcase.

First of all, many of us probably already know he is notorious for talking highly about his games - talking about them as if they're the next best thing since the invention of cars.

So he had one of his minions show us a few of the features in the game, yeah it's quite impressive, but generally its the same old thing, just.. slightly different.

So I talked to him afterwards because I wanted to get across to him that he needs to stop talking so highly about his games, because it causes too much disappointment - let the gamers decide for themselves if its good or not. Besides that, I actually wanted to talk to him about something I think game developers should start doing.

When Half Life came out - gamers realised more than ever, how much better a game can be if it has a deep and interesting story. So for the next 10 years every game had a ****ing story. Everyone's story is deep, interesting, unique, blah blah blah, and I think gamers are sick to death of it.

He was saying that his new game has many branches of the story, but I said to him, look at your "Tree", look at all the branches. To you, there are many paths to follow, but to the gamer, there is only ONE, because the player is only going down one path, no matter what he does, its LINEAR to the player. It's not linear to the developer, because the developer KNOWS the many different paths already.

So I told him, what you should be doing is creating a game where the player actually creates their own story, based on PHYSICS, CAUSE AND EFFECT and CLEVER AI.

Create a world, where everything lives and breaths, tree's grow and die, people are born, they get jobs, they die, they all have emotions and react differently to different circumstances. When you as a player, do something to interfere with the common life, you will cause a domino effect of changes that in essence, create a story. This is your own unique story, that you have no idea how it will end, but what's important is that you are the one who created it, and you KNOW that it's not made up by anyone else. It's completely unique and personal.

For example, lets say we have a path way through a forest. Every Tuesday at 12pm, a caravan wagon passes by carrying food to a small town in the woods. This food is sold on the market, the people buy it and have food for the next week. Lets say you come along and disrupt this somehow, by putting a rock on the path way, the driver doesn't see it, physics kicks in, wagon wheel breaks, driver falls out, over cliff, dies. Wagon never makes it to the village, now all the village people are wondering where is the food, some are angry, some are upset, some are worried. Some try to do something about it, by either finding their own food, or finding out where the food is, etc. Perhaps one of them finds the wagon, thinks someone did it on purpose and vows to find the person who did it and kill him, so now you have a guy after you.

After 1 or 2 weeks of playing, you would have such an incredibly deep story, an incredibly different world than what you started with.

Well, Molyneux didn't say much, but he was trying to figure out how the idea would work, or how to make it work.

===========

Aside that talk, I also attended a talk with a guy who heads mainstream media, or something, I can't remember the exact title, but basically it's all about outsourcing artwork, etc. He was saying that most developers, big and small, now outsource their needed work, especially artwork, because it's hard to find good artists. But he was talking about how people keep forgetting to treat their company like a BUSINESS. But I think that's exactly what's wrong with the industry. Games were successful because they were FUN, if you treat your company like a business, then the game may lose its sole purpose - to be fun. It's an industry that is closely edging on going the wrong way, where only a few developers out there will create games for FUN not for MONEY, and ironically, the bonus of creating fun games, is that you get a LOT of money.
    be free

Re: GCA Conference 08

Originally posted by FrostyBoy
    So I told him, what you should be doing is creating a game where the player actually creates their own story, based on PHYSICS, CAUSE AND EFFECT and CLEVER AI.
    Nope.

Comment

Who do you work for DrSpike?
      be free

Comment

I agree with DrSpike -- bad idea, Frosty. Stick to Photoshop.

Equals
        So I told him, what you should be doing is creating a SIMULATION where the player EXISTS IN THE REAL WORLD.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

uh, no it doesn't Asher.

You won't comprehend this, because your brain is not creative. It's linear, like most games.
          be free

Comment

Yeah, Frosty, the concept of a sandbox sim game completely blows my mind because I'm not scatterbrained like most of your artsy types. Incidentally, if you were capable of structured thought processes you'd probably see why your suggestion is utterly stupid.

It's not that I don't comprehend it -- like most artists, you think your ideas are more complex than they actually are. The problem is it's simply a dumb idea. Who are you to give game design advice? Get off of it.

I'm getting completely pissed off by your transparent attempt to portray yourself as some kind of gaming industry expert or even a member of the gaming industry. You're not, we're not dumb enough to believe your bull****, and every comment you make about games on this site displays complete ignorance about the industry.

But I'm sure you make very pretty pictures.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

As much as I hate to agree with Asher, that (minus the unnecessary insults of course) was the impression I got from the OP as well.

Comment

Oh, they are very necessary.

Comment

Asher you go off saying its a dumb idea without actually explaining why.

I know why my idea is good, and I explained it, your brain didn't understand it, which led to you thinking it was a bad idea.

So go ahead, explain why its a dumb idea.
                  be free

Comment

Maybe later, no time today. Some of us have real jobs. Only time for quick posts occasionally.

I know why my idea is good, and I explained it, your brain didn't understand it, which led to you thinking it was a bad idea.

Your logic is so ****ing ****ed up. Because you explained it and think it's a good idea, anyone who reads it needs to conclude it is a good idea.

Seriously. Pictures. Make them. Leave the design and development to people with IQs in the double or hopefully triple digits.

Comment

You're like.. Evil-Me.

Go away man.
                      be free

Comment

Re: GCA Conference 08

He was saying that his new game has many branches of the story, but I said to him, look at your "Tree", look at all the branches. To you, there are many paths to follow, but to the gamer, there is only ONE, because the player is only going down one path, no matter what he does, its LINEAR to the player. It's not linear to the developer, because the developer KNOWS the many different paths already.
                        I don't understand this paragraph. You seem to be saying that because a player can only go down one path at a time, it makes the game linear. While I disagree with this, I'll grant it for the sake of asking this question: How does your proposal change this? Your proposal may allow for more total and more complex interactions, but ultimately, you still only experience the one path, based on the decisions you've made.

Create a world, where everything lives and breaths, tree's grow and die, people are born, they get jobs, they die, they all have emotions and react differently to different circumstances. When you as a player, do something to interfere with the common life, you will cause a domino effect of changes that in essence, create a story. This is your own unique story, that you have no idea how it will end, but what's important is that you are the one who created it, and you KNOW that it's not made up by anyone else. It's completely unique and personal.

For example, lets say we have a path way through a forest. Every Tuesday at 12pm, a caravan wagon passes by carrying food to a small town in the woods. This food is sold on the market, the people buy it and have food for the next week. Lets say you come along and disrupt this somehow, by putting a rock on the path way, the driver doesn't see it, physics kicks in, wagon wheel breaks, driver falls out, over cliff, dies. Wagon never makes it to the village, now all the village people are wondering where is the food, some are angry, some are upset, some are worried. Some try to do something about it, by either finding their own food, or finding out where the food is, etc. Perhaps one of them finds the wagon, thinks someone did it on purpose and vows to find the person who did it and kill him, so now you have a guy after you.
                        Some games already do this. True, the number of choices and the number of possible consequences is more limited than you are proposing, but it is a matter of degree, not a matter of you having a revolutionary idea. Nearly every RPG since the mid-90's has claimed to feature this sort of complex interactivity, though obviously results have varied.
                        You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Seedle, I made a nice little picture for your brain.

Notice the stupid looking tree has many different paths of the story to take. But notice the red line? That's the story the player takes, and notice it is completely linear? The only time the game doesn't become linear is when you play again, but to me, that's not good enough. It can be done better.
                          Attached Files
                          be free

Comment

I'm not claiming to have a revolutionary idea, but I am claiming that no developer has done what it keeps saying they have done.

They all talk as if the game is open-ended, that you can do anything, but it's not true. The only game that comes to mind that is remotely close is GTA, but the cause and effect is only one level deep.

e.g. Shoot man, he runs away.

But it should be: Shoot man, he runs away home, calls his mum, cries on phone, mum calls police, police go looking for you, police find you, and so on.

There must be a domino effect that doesn't cool down. It just keeps running.

Now it's true that the game will still be linear, but so is your life; what I am trying to say is that non-linear games are irrelevant, a waste of time. Instead of trying to spice up the game by creating different paths, create the game so that your actions, and other people's actions, have an unpredictable, unending path. And you, the player, KNOW that it's not some story created by some idiot in a studio, it's your own unique story, and that is engaging and interesting enough to make the game worth while.
                            Last edited by FrostyBoy; September 20, 2008, 00:12.
                            be free

Comment

Seedle, I made a nice little picture for your brain.

Notice the stupid looking tree has many different paths of the story to take. But notice the red line? That's the story the player takes, and notice it is completely linear? The only time the game doesn't become linear is when you play again, but to me, that's not good enough. It can be done better.
                              Sorry but this is missing his (totally valid) point entirely. He understands the OP argument but points out that even under your proposal the gamer only experiences one set of outcomes (even if there might be more paths overall), so using your definition is linear.

Now this actually isn't a sensible argument, but this is because it is a logical extension of your original point, which is deeply flawed.

One must assess linearity against potential outcomes, or the potential for choices to affect the outcome the player faces. Even if he/she only plays through once. Otherwise all games you play through once are linear, which is clearly silly.

Comment

Working...
                              X