Cell phase discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phase discussion

Time to split up the discussion into several threads, instead of having all discussion in one thread
    Last edited by Adagio; September 8, 2008, 08:08.
    This space is empty... or is it?

A more advanced look at the cell phase:

Before you start a game you decide your food preferences. You have two choices: Meat or plants. Later in the cell phase you can find other mouths (you can find the mouth to eat both meat and plants), so you can change your diet

At the beginning you probably see something like this:

An empty ocean with a few green and red dots spread all over the place. Time to play Pacman. If your diet is plants, catch the green dots, or if your diet is meat catch the red dots. Each food gives you a DNA point. When you feel it's time to evolve call a mate and find her to open up the cell editor

The cell editor doesn't have as many options as other editors, but it's a nice introduction to the editors (all editors works the same way, so if you understand how one works, you understand how all works)

You will soon realize that you're not alone. With other cell creatures in the ocean there is more to eat (for those with meat on their diet), but also more dangers. In this game size DOES matter, stay away from the bigger creatures if you want to survive. You will see a lot of creatures in the background, these will not pose any treat to you at all as they stay in the background

The more you eat, the larger your creature becomes (and you also regain health). When your creature becomes larger, that also means that creatures you had to escape from before now becomes your snack

When swimming around there are obstacles that could hinder your escape. Most of these can be destroyed like bubbles, which are everywhere, but they can still slow you down. There are also situations where you could get an increase in speed. If you swim with the current you can easily double your speed, which is great when you're the target of a more dangerous creature

When you've eaten enough you get a brain. Time to evolve your creature into a land creature

The last editor you see in the cell phase is a mixture of the cell and creature editor. You have the same items as in the cell editor, but with a couple of legs to chose from. This is the first time you can edit your creature in 3D

Cell phase takes about 15-20 minutes to complete

The Cell phase does have a huge let down. Each game is pretty much the same. It's always the same enemies you share the ocean with. At least in the games I've played I have never seen any other creatures than the default Maxis cell creatures
    The Cell phase creatures are saved, but never actually used

Comment

Each food gives you a DNA point. When you feel it's time to evolve call a mate and find her to open up the cell editor
      So.....prostitution is indeed the oldest profession!
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Exactly

Comment

You have intrigued me now.

So might actually go out and buy the game.
          On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

So I was editing my Cell Phase creature, and I decided to place the eyestalks onto the beak of the mouth. When I went back into the Cell phase, I couldn't eat! Anyone else have a problem like this?

Here's a pic to show how I set my creature up:
            Attached Files

Comment

The eyestalks may be physically hitting food before the jaws do.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Yeah. Shrink the eyes with the scroll wheel, and then you'll be able to eat.

Or you could make the mouth bigger (again with the scroll wheel)
                Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
                "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

I did one last night with a herbivore mouth in the center, two carnivore mouths where the spikes are in the above creature, and 4 spikes along the rear with the flagellum for propulsion, worked great, made it through in 5 minutes flat.
                  First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                  Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Working...
                  X