Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkCloud
    You don't always have the net where you are
    That. My Internet is crap and sometimes will go out for hours on end. Obviously, I can't browse teh interwebs in that period of time, so what else is there to do with the computer other than play something? And if I can't play said something due to circumstances outside of my control, it can become frustrating.
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

Because it's a Steam game. You don't want Steam to run when you play the game? Don't buy it off Steam. Can't buy it from a non-Steam source? Use the only right a gamer has - the right to not pay for something you don't want - and don't buy it. You can't decide what programs are needed for your game to run, and you have no right to demand that it change. All you do is choose to buy it or not. And given the way things are, it's obvious that most people don't care.
      All half life games and valve games are steam.
      If you don't like that, then buy the consoles=- there's a reason why consoles are now more attractive gaming machines- there's less pain and suffering and mess when buying them.

You purchase the game, put it in and play.

With a PC, the process is:
      purchase, install, accept contract, download patches, deal with copy protection, reconfigure system settings, consult help file, upgrade computer, download windows patches, then (maybe) play.

It's not worth all that trouble for fun that can be had in 1 minute on a Console.

There's a good reason why PC game sales are completely overshadowed by consoles- and it's because the game manufacturers, for a variety of reasons, don't really respect the purchasers.

I'm glad to see that Stardock has seen the light.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Well said, my foreign friend.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If this actually does become industry standard then it would be cool but it won't happen.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
            Stardock's idea of updates on their site is added features that didn't have time to get into the original game... also rebalancing. They don't just do bugfixes.
            That's my idea of what an update means. Instead most companies seem to hold back on features which were originally supposed to be in the game, got pulled out because the game got rushed to market, and rather then give people a free upgrade to the original promised product they usually charge you for it in an expansion pack.

Sure, that makes good financial sense for the company but it is treating your costumers like crap.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              Instead most companies seem to hold back on features which were originally supposed to be in the game, got pulled out because the game got rushed to market, and rather then give people a free upgrade to the original promised product they usually charge you for it in an expansion pack.
              And unfortunately, as ably demonstrated by EA and others, the customers will tolerate this.
              XBox Live: VovanSim
              xbox.com (login required)
              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
              Spore page

Comment

I'd welcome more of the industry taking this approach.

Tbh I don't find having the CD in the drive a hassle, but having to be connected to the net for a single player game I find intensely annoying.

I like Paradox games but their habit of shipping them bugridden and having to go through numerous patches before they are fixed is equally frustrating. Until Stardock came along I thought small developers were basically forced to work like this because it was ship or fold, but they proved otherwise.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                  Tbh I don't find having the CD in the drive a hassle, but having to be connected to the net for a single player game I find intensely annoying.
                  For me it's the opposite. I don't mind the need to be connected to play (as long as there's no need for the disc when online, but of course also with the option to play offline with the need to have the disc in the drive)
                  Switching between games is too much of a hassle if you don't "fix" your games
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                    ............. Until Stardock came along I thought small developers were basically forced to work like this because it was ship or fold, but they proved otherwise.
                    indeed. Stardock are the small beacon of light in the darkness of PC gaming, no joke!

Comment

Working...
                    X